I Watch You Talk, You Didn't Notice [51]

Why was freaking Xingqiu in your personal space with the door locked from inside the study?

You look away, wanting to seem unbothered-but maybe it was too late for that.

"A confrontation about what?" You uttered. Despite the intimidating atmosphere, you still wanted to make your point across. "Surely you didn't take the time to meet me here just because you want to see me flushed in embarrassment after last night?"

Xingqiu backs away and smiles, "I only jest." He laughs, "Did I get you good?"

You scoff with disbelief, almost smacking him on the arm. "Xingqiu, what the heck!"

"I'm sorry." He apologizes, but he was still laughing.

After the engagement party and when the traveler asked what made you so flustered when it came to the subject of last night, Xingqiu thought it was best to leave out a few important pieces of information from her.

Yes, you were inebriated as one would when one takes too much wine, and yes, you did end up saying a few mumbling jumbles to him-and that included, one would quote, "You never joke around me that much... and you say we're friends."

Xingqiu had found it odd-the first part-it was even odder than you admitting that the two of you were now friends . "What do you mean? You dislike it when I misbehave around you and I wouldn't want to do anything to displease you." He pauses and hesitates, "Are you suggesting that I should joke around you more often?"

But before he could even hear your reply, you were already fast asleep.

And so for today, he's decided to make fun of you by luring you into this room-that was what you wanted, after all.

"I do have something to ask you though." Xingqiu continues.

"Well, spit it out." You frown.

"Are you feeling alright now?" He says gently as you notice his features soften, the atmosphere changing almost immediately only from the tone of his voice, "I was worried that you went off without a coat. I believe it's still too cold out this morning."

"I'm fine." You answered honestly with a tone that was the same as his, and you found it odd to hear yourself speak to him like this with no one else around. "I only went out on a short walk."

Of course, it has occurred to you for a long time already (thanks to a few of your friends helping with your self-reflection) that Xingqiu doesn't mean any harm and just wants the best for both of you-and it was still quite complicated for you to wrap that information around your head considering the situation you two were facing.

There were a lot of times when you considered being nicer to him than what you had originally agreed with, but continuing to act like you were unamused of him- to amuse him- was somewhat just better for you.

Besides, if you started being nicer to him this late, it would just weird you out-and he would most likely just tease you to death about it.

Wow, I never thought I would come to this thought. At least you could admit that he was starting to get a bit more tolerable to you.

He tilts his head, figuring out what you were spacing out about without actually wanting to ask. "Do you want to eat something? Or do you want to continue talking about something else?"

You blink as your brain starts to turn like convoluted cogs, thinking of the right question to ask or subject to change, which only leads you to blur out only one thing, "You and Meiyin last night. What were you two discussing about?"