𝐢.

The moment Bonnie felt Elena's fangs on her neck something inside of her snapped. Her magic surfaced without a second thought. She felt angry and hurt. The dark power flowing though her veins urged her to lash out, to destroy the threat against her, and above all, it urged her to give in to the dark and all consuming force that was expression.

Bonnie didn't have the strength to fight it anymore. She was so tired. Prom was supposed to be about friends and making memories. It was a rite of passage but instead it had turned into a nightmare. She was so tired of fighting. She was so tired of the pain and the grief and the loneliness.

The grief over Jeremy's death, the dreams, the loss of control over her magic, the fear that without Shane she would be unable to contain the incredible power inside her and Silas pretending to be Jeremy and trying to manipulate her into doing his bidding. It was too much.

Her best friend trying to kill her was the last straw.

Whatever little bit of sanity, of control Bonnie had, it was broken the moment Elena viciously attacked her. In that moment, she felt the need not only to defend herself but to fight back, to attack, and destroy.

Expression took over.

Elena pulled away gasping and choking on Bonnie's blood as an invisible force attacked her without mercy. She vomited as Bonnie's magic forced the powerful witch blood out of her system.

Bonnie stood up. Her magic healed the wound on her neck almost immediately. She lifted her chin, twisted her hand, and proceeded to break Elena's bones.

Elena, her best friend had tried to kill her. Elena, the person she considered practically a sister had sunk her fangs into her neck and nearly drained her.

It's not her fault. She doesn't have her emotions, a part of her tried to excuse her friend's behavior. But she could still feel the pain on her neck, the fear of the surprise attack, and the anger, the hot, boiling anger that allowed expression to take hold of her mind.

Bonnie watched as Elena sunk to the ground in agony.

Bonnie heard the crushing sounds as her magic broke Elena's bones.

Bonnie enjoyed the sight of her best friend writhing in pain in front of her.

It was intoxicating. The power she felt swirling inside of her was unlike anything she had ever felt before.

Why hadn't she done this before? Why had she been so afraid?

Look at her, her mind whispered. Look how pathetic she is, how weak, she doesn't stand a chance against you. No one stands a chance against you.

Bonnie watched as blood oozed out of Elena's nose, as she cried out for Damon to help her.

Elena was in pain and Bonnie enjoyed the sight of it.

Kill her. End her. She hurt you. She deserves to die, expression whispered inside her head.

It would be so easy, Bonnie realized. It would be so easy to stop Elena's heart from pumping blood, it would be so easy to rip said organ out of her chest and end her miserable existence. How easy, how sweet it would be to set her brain on fire, to make it explode from the inside out, to suck the life and energy out of her.

Bonnie knew how to do it. She could do it with a snap of her fingers.

It was terrifying. Not the knowledge that she could do it, but the realization that she wanted to do it. Her fingers itched and her body practically swayed with the desire to kill.

It was that thought, that horrible realization that pulled her out of the dark cloud that had taken hold of her. It brought her consciousness back and allowed her to stop the magical attack on her friend. Not Stefan's or Damon's voice, not Elena's whimpers of pain.