forty-two

Her hands were shaking as she stood in front of the sink and turned the faucet on. The water was cold but it felt wonderful on her heated skin. She splashed water on her face and drank some of it, trying to get the horrible acid taste out of her mouth. She could still feel the burning sensation on her throat.

Bonnie stared at her reflection in the mirror, her eyes were red and her cheeks were damp from her tears. She had been lucky that she made it to the bathroom in time. She had managed to get inside and got on her knees, face on the toilet as she emptied her stomach. Once she started she hadn't been able to stop. The nausea that had built up had culminated with a shaking and crying Bonnie inside a dirty bathroom of a gas station somewhere outside the city.

Everything had happened so fast. After Adriane told them that there were other Travelers coming for Bonnie, everyone had started talking at once. There had been heated arguments over the best course of action. The Mikaelson's and the Bennett's had different ways of dealing with the threat coming her way.

Bonnie had sat on the porch steps, feeling lightheaded and nauseous. She hadn't even heard what had been said, she had been feeling so out of it. Charlotte had sat quietly next to her, gently rubbing her hand over Bonnie's arm and giving her a gentle comfort.

In the end, Klaus had won. He barked orders to Riley, his sibling, and even her own coven and got everyone moving. Bonnie didn't remember much of it. She had been so tired, sleepy, and nauseous that all she had wanted was to curl into a ball and never open her eyes again.

The Originals had moved at the speed of light and packed the necessary things Bonnie would need before Klaus carried her to one of the cars and sped out of there. Bonnie hadn't even been able to say goodbye to anyone. Klaus told her that he knew of a place where she would be safe. A place the Traveler's wouldn't be able to find her.

"Bonnie," Klaus knocked on the door. "Sweetheart, are you alright?"

He had been pumping gas on the car when Bonnie had jumped out and headed straight for the bathroom. She had locked the door and asked him not to come in while she puked nonstop. Bonnie felt mortified that he stood by the door, listening as she retched. But he had respected her wishes not to come inside.

Bonnie flushed the toilet. Most of what she had vomited had been a strange yellow liquid. She felt certain that it was what Christian had injected her with earlier that night. Now that it was out of her system, she was starting to feel much better. A little tired still but not as disoriented as before.

She opened the door and offered Klaus a weak smile. "I'm feeling much better now."

Klaus pulled her into his arms, holding her close.

"Where are Charlotte and Davina?" Bonnie asked looking up into his face. The two girls had come with them. Klaus had ordered Davina to get inside the car with them and Charlotte had tagged along without anyone having to tell her.

"They're in the diner across the street," Klaus told her. "Do you think you can handle eating something?" he asked worriedly. They still had a long drive ahead of them.

"Maybe some fruit," Bonnie mumbled. "I threw up the sedative Christian injected me with." She was pretty certain that was what the yellow liquid in the syringe had been.

Klaus frowned. "The twins healing abilities didn't flush it out of your system?" he asked curiously. The twins' blood could heal practically anything.

"I guess the best way they thought to flush it out of my system was to vomit it," Bonnie responded with a shrug. "How far are we from the safe house?"

"About five more hours," Klaus answered. It was why he had stopped for gas and to get them to stretch their limbs before continuing their journey. They were far enough from New Orleans now that the Travelers wouldn't be able to locate them. The Bennett witches had all taken turns placing cloaking spells on all four of them. And they were currently hunting down the Travelers. Klaus wished he were the one to personally rip them to pieces but he didn't trust anyone to keep Bonnie safe, no one but himself.