eighty-six

𝐎𝐍𝐄 𝐓𝐇𝐎𝐔𝐒𝐀𝐍𝐃 𝐘𝐄𝐀𝐑𝐒 𝐀𝐆𝐎

Finn squirmed and snuggled closer to his mother as another rumbling of thunder echoed inside their hut. "Thor must be angry," he murmured fearfully.

"Don't be afraid," his mother's arm tightened around him as she deposited a gentle kiss on top of his head.

Finn smiled up at her, in his mother's arms he was never afraid.

"Do you want a brother or a sister, Finn?" Freya was on their mother's other side, snuggled against her as well, one hand gently rubbing their mother's swollen belly. All three of them fitted perfectly on the bed, the bear furs keeping them warm along with the burning fire. An icy storm raged the village and the two of them had crawled into their mother's bed, seeking comfort; their father was away, hunting with the other men from their village.

"I don't want any brother or sister," Finn proclaimed. They were happy, the four of them were the perfect family why ruin that?

Freya giggled at the tone of his voice, her green eyes shinning with mirth.

"There is no need to be jealous my love," Esther touched his cheek and smiled down at him.

Freya rested her head on their mother's growing belly. "It's going to be a boy," she proclaimed.

"How do you know?" Finn asked curiously.

"I just do," she rubbed her nose against her mother's belly before depositing a tender kiss. "I know what you shall name him as well," she told their mother as she raised her face.

"Tell me," Esther said as she wrapped an arm around each of them and pulled them closer against her.

"Elijah," Freya declared as she looked into her mother's eyes. "I want you to name him, Elijah."

"And your father and I don't get a say in the matter?" Esther questioned with a soft laugh. She knew Mikael would not deny Freya her wish and neither would she.

"No," Freya replied with a giggle. "As his older sister, I get to decide on his name."

Esther laughed at that.

"That's not fair!" Finn complained. "If he's a boy, I should be the one to decide on his name. I am the older brother."

"I'm older than you!"

"By a winter!"

"I am still older," Freya sang in a melodic voice.

Esther laughed at their banter which was interrupted by a loud rumbling sound that made their bed quake. Both children gasped and snuggled closer to her, seeking her protection. Esther pulled them close and kissed both of their heads. "It's alright, my darlings. Mama won't let anything happen to you. I will keep you safe," she promised both of them. "Always and forever."

                                     ❀❀❀

𝐅𝐀𝐔𝐋𝐈𝐍𝐄 𝐂𝐎𝐓𝐓𝐀𝐆𝐄

Freya pulled away from Finn, her eyes brimming with tears, and a happy smile graced upon her lips.

"I can't believe you are real," Finn murmured as he took her hand in his. He was afraid that if he were to let go, she would disappear with the wind.

"I am."

"You're supposed to be dead," Kol snapped once he got over his shock.

Freya and Finn turned to face him.