fifty-seven

The first person Bonnie saw upon arriving inside St. Anne's church was Matt. He had arrived earlier that night after the fog cleared and had brought his coworkers to the church to wait the storm that had descended over the city. St. Anne's was just one of the many churches throughout the city that had become sanctuaries for the terrified citizens and tourists who had no idea what the hell was going on outside.

The two friends embraced warmly before Matt informed Bonnie that Charlotte and Davina were also inside the church. The relief Bonnie felt upon hearing those words was overwhelming. With the knowledge that the girls were safe, Bonnie turned to Klaus and embraced him fiercely. She knew he had to go and fight, she knew he was technically indestructible but still she worried.

The hybrid kissed her lightly on the lips; a kiss that was not goodbye but a promise.

Bonnie clung to him and kissed him back, wishing for him to feel all the love boiling her blood. The powerful emotions she felt were happily transmitted between the two through their bond. I love you. Be careful, her mind easily slipped inside his as their lips connected once more. She was desperate for him to know, to feel, to take that love with him as he faced their enemies.

I love you too. I will be fine. Don't worry, his thoughts easily projected inside her mind as well. Their hearts, their bodies, their souls, and minds had become so intertwined throughout the many exchanges of blood they had shared that it was hard to distinguish between their separate beings. They were two halves of a whole now. Two souls joined by blood and magic, two powerful beings that were one and the same.

They reluctantly pulled their lips apart but they stood holding each other, with their eyes closed, and their foreheads resting together. It was a tender moment between the two. Time seemed to stand still. They didn't even care who could be watching them, this was their moment and they wanted to make the best of it.

Their eyes met.

The hybrid nodded in her direction and sped out of the church, a look of fierce determination on his handsome face. He had an army to lead and a war to finish.

Rebekah hugged Bonnie, telling her not to worry before crushing Matt's lips to hers and giving him a passionate, see you later kiss. She then proceeded to follow her brother out of the church and straight into the battlefield.

Kyra gave Bonnie a slight nod before she followed them as well.

Bonnie and Matt stood side by side, watching as the heavy double doors of the church closed.

"I guess we wait now," Matt murmured.

"Yeah," Bonnie absently replied. She reached out and touched her necklace. Please keep them safe. Please let us win, she prayed to her ancestor.

☾☾☾

𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐍𝐄𝐗𝐓 𝐌𝐎𝐑𝐍𝐈𝐍𝐆

An avalanche of rain poured down from the ominous cloudy sky, greeting the bloody and sweaty warriors who were still standing with the force of a hurricane. Instead of a beautiful sunrise bathing the historic streets, thunder and lightning accompanied by a mighty wind capable of ripping trees from the soil followed.

The floodgates had been open as the sky grieved for all those who had perished the night before. It had been one of the bloodiest battles the city had ever seen.

Marcel stood surrounded by corpses, as friend and foe alike laid scattered throughout Bourbon Street. A few feet away from him, Vincent Griffith struggled to catch his breath also surveying the dreary scene at his feet.

"...Marcel..."

The former king turned around and found his friend Thierry.

The younger vampire was limping. His pale and scared face stared up at Marcel. He took one step forward and his body swayed.