sixty-eight

𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐂𝐎𝐌𝐏𝐎𝐔𝐍𝐃

The feel of his knuckles tenderly tracing her cheek was the first thing Bonnie became aware of. Her eyes slowly fluttered open and she came to face to face with Klaus. "Hi," she whispered with a content smile on her face.

"Hi," Klaus whispered back. The happiness, the relief, the adoration he felt for her echoed across their bond and was also reflected on his face.

Bonnie loved the way he looked at her, like she were the most precious thing in the world. She certainly felt so with him.

Their eyes met and two contemplated each other in silence for a couple of minutes.

The balcony doors were open and a soft breeze greeted her while the morning sunlight illuminated their bedroom. Bonnie yawned and stretched her arms above her head. She felt well rested and relaxed. Her body had been re-energized and her mind and soul felt at peace. A soft smile graced her lips as she stared at Klaus's face once more, her heart even skipped a beat like it always did when it came to him. Klaus always had that effect on her.

"How are you feeling?" He asked quietly. The anguish and the uncertainty of the night before was all gone by now. A perplexed Dr. Mayfair had examined her and declared her free of the hex. There were many questions in regards to her miraculous recovery but Klaus felt happy knowing that the danger was gone. Bonnie and his children were fine and that was all that mattered.

"Hungry," Bonnie muttered, her stomach made a loud grumbling noise in agreement. She gave Klaus a sheepish smile before pulling herself into a sitting position. Klaus helped her and fixed her pillows so she would be more comfortable. Bonnie took the time to look at her arms and hands, the blisters were gone from her skin. There was not a single trace of the terrible curse that had afflicted her the night before. She touched her arms and marveled at the softness of her skin before gently touching her pregnant belly. She smiled brightly when she felt the twins kick. "Ouch!" she made a face when one of them jabbed her in the ribs while the other kicked near her bladder. She felt like she was growing bigger by the second, her skin stretching to the limit and the twins were certainly fighting for space while they continue to grow inside her womb. While it was amazing to feel them move it could also be really uncomfortable sometimes, she was a tiny person after all.

Klaus took a seat on the bed next to her and placed his hand gently over her belly. "They're very active this morning." His lips twitched into a soft smile as he felt his children kick in greeting. No matter how many times he had felt the twins move against his palm, that precious feeling of wonder would never go away. Klaus certainly treasured every single time he got to feel them. Who could've ever imagined that those kicks would come to mean the world to him? Nothing had ever prepared him for the love he already felt for them in his heart.

"Yeah," Bonnie felt happy and relieved to feel them move. "I was so afraid when I didn't feel them move...I thought...." She closed her eyes briefly and shook her head. The twins were fine and it was best not to remember the panic that had invaded her the night before. She had been terrified that she was going to lose them.

Klaus watched her carefully. Bonnie's miraculous recovery had stunned everyone. They had stepped outside to discuss her condition and minutes later when they returned, the blisters on Bonnie's skin were gone. Dr. Mayfair had no explanation for her sudden recovery. No one knew how exactly Bonnie had been healed. Rebekah had theorized that maybe it had been the twins who healed her but Dr. Mayfair had been unable to determine if that was the case. To everyone's puzzlement, the curse had disappeared as quickly as it had come. "How did you do it?" Klaus asked her suddenly. "How did you heal yourself?" While Klaus felt curious, more than anything he felt relived and happy that the curse was gone.