sixty-three

The moment he opened the door, he knew something was wrong. A sinking feeling in the pit of his stomach had him stepping inside the room with apprehension. He looked around the nursery with nervousness, a cold sweat descending his spine right away.

It was empty.

Everything looked nice and clean. There were no toys scattered around the floor like it was the usual. His daughter's favorite teddy bear which always sat on the rocking chair in the corner of the room was gone. His eyes moved to the wall, towards the shelve, seeking his son's favorite toy cars. The cars were gone as well. He looked around the room, noticing all the things that were missing, all the favorite things that belonged to his children. His body shook as a deep and ugly feeling took root inside him.

"Bonnie!" Klaus called out as he practically ran out of the room. "Sweetheart, where are you?"

There was no response.

"Bonnie!" He yelled while using his supernatural senses to locate her inside the house.

There was no one in the hall. He couldn't feel anyone inside the house as a matter of fact. That ugly feeling inside him intensified once more. He descended the stairs in a rush. "Bonnie!" He yelled again.

Nothing.

"Elijah!" He tried calling for his older brother but again, there was no response.

"Rebekah!"

"Kol!"

He couldn't sense Elijah, or Rebekah, or Kol inside the house. They like Bonnie, were nowhere be found.

Feeling agitated, Klaus closed his eyes and searched for Bonnie through their bond. They were bound by blood and magic. No matter where she was, he would always find her. The small ray of hope he had in his heart died when he couldn't sense his wife at all. He tried searching for that unique link between them, he tried reaching out to her through that invisible string that made them one. He couldn't.

The bond between him and Bonnie no longer existed. Bonnie was no longer a part of him. Her feelings, her presence was no longer inside his blood. She was truly and irrevocably gone from him. The excruciating pain he felt in his heart was unbearable. It felt like he had been daggered, like his heart had been ripped away from his chest in one single moment. His worst nightmare, his greatest fear had become reality.

Bonnie was gone.

His children were gone.

His siblings were gone.

He was all alone.

"You didn't honestly believe she was going to stay with you forever, did you?"

Klaus's eyes snapped open as he heard that familiar voice. He spun around and came face to face with none other than Marcel.

His adoptive son smirked as he walked closer. "Bonnie finally realized the truth," Marcel muttered gleefully.

"Where is she?" Klaus demanded furiously. He moved closer, hands clenching, eyes hard and murderous.

"She left," Marcel responded simply. "She finally had enough of the Mikaelson family drama and realized that the best thing for her and her kids is to be away from you."

"No..." Klaus refused to believe that. Bonnie wouldn't do that to him. Bonnie wouldn't leave him without saying anything, she wouldn't take his children away from him.

"Your children deserve a better father," Marcel said, his dark eyes were filled with hatred. "A real father, not a monster like you."

Klaus growled and sped forwards, attempting to grab Marcel.