thirty-four

Damon's face was a poem.

Bonnie watched the different emotions that flickered across his face as he processed the news of her pregnancy. There was shock, disbelief, anger, and something else that she couldn't quite describe. She continued to hold Klaus's hand as she waited to see what Damon would say. The last time they had seen and talk to each other things had turned rather ugly and Bonnie hoped this would not be the case. There was a part of her that knew that she was probably being naïve with that hope.

"How is that even possible?" Stefan finally broke the silence. He looked from Bonnie to Klaus trying to understand how she could be pregnant. "You're a vampire...how?"

"He's a hybrid," Matt mumbled under his breath.

Stefan gave him a look before turning to the couple once more. "Still, you're technically dead."

"Well you see mate, when a man and a woman," Klaus began with a smirk. "Well, in this case when a hybrid and a witch met at a bar for a couple of drinks and-"

"It's a miracle," Bonnie interrupted and proceeded to shot the hybrid a glare. Now was really not the time for jokes.

Klaus gave her a dimpled smile.

"A miracle," Damon scoffed when he finally found his voice. "You're joking right?" He stared at Bonnie with disbelief. "Do you have any idea how fucking crazy this is?" He couldn't believe she was pregnant and by fucking Klaus no less. This had to be some sort of cosmic joke.

Bonnie sighed. "Look Damon, I-"

"Don't tell me you're happy about getting knocked up by him?" Damon interrupted her angrily. "What the hell were you thinking?" he yelled. "How could you be so stupid?"

"Watch your tongue," Klaus hissed. "Don't talk to her that way." Who the hell did Damon think he was to speak to Bonnie that way? It enraged him how Damon spoke as if he had a right over Bonnie. He didn't. The fucking bastard should consider himself lucky that he was still breathing.

The younger vampire glared. An idea suddenly occurred to him. "That's why you want her isn't it? So she can be your incubator and help you create your army of hybrids. You bastard!"

"You're an idiot!" Bonnie snapped glaring at Damon. Lightning flashed across the dark sky as if reacting to her mood. She was about to lose her patience and it was not going to be pretty. "How can you possibly think..." she was not going to repeat his words. She took a deep breath instead. She was determined not to lose her patience. Today had been such a good day. She didn't want anything to ruin it.

"Damon-" Stefan grabbed his brother's shoulder. The last time Damon had provoked Klaus, the hybrid nearly killed him. Stefan did not want a repeat performance. His brother needed to be careful it he wanted to keep on living.

Matt sighed and closed his eyes knowing that this was not going to be pretty.

"You really are quite pathetic aren't you?" Klaus gave Damon a look of contempt.

"You're only using her, admit it!" Damon yelled as his hands balled into fists. He was itching for a fight. He wanted nothing more than punch that stupid arrogant hybrid. Even if deep down he knew Klaus could easily kill him.

"I'm not like you," Klaus fired back. He moved closer but Bonnie tugged at his hand and pulled him back. She knew better than to let Klaus get too close to Damon. As much as Damon was getting on her nerves she didn't want him dead.

"You and your pathetic little group have been using Bonnie from the moment she found out she was a witch," Klaus continued angrily. "She's been at your beck and call, putting herself at risk for that stupid doppelganger and that's exactly how you want her to continue being."