forty-eight

𝐍𝐄𝐖 𝐎𝐑𝐋𝐄𝐀𝐍𝐒

Bonnie let out a deep breath as she closed the door to Davina's room. The young witch was fast asleep. She hoped Davina would get better soon. And hopefully Dr. Mayfair could help them if her sickness persisted. Charlotte was sleeping peacefully on the room next door. Bonnie was surprised that she had fallen asleep without waiting for Bonnie's goodnight kiss and story time. Then again, the little witch was probably exhausted after the excitement of the day and the journey back to the Quarter.

Bonnie closed her eyes and rested one hand on the wall, she felt exhausted as well. It had been one hell of a day. She had spent the night before helping to bring Kol back from the dead and had spent the majority of today making her way back to the Quarter. Not to mention, the emotional reunion with her friends, and her intense conversations with Klaus and the Salvatores.

And speaking of the hybrid.

Bonnie sensed his presence and turned around to face him. He stood a few feet away from her, watching her in that Klaus way of his.

"I take it you spoke with Damon and Stefan." He had heard the front door slamming shut and knew the two vampires were out of the house.

"I did." Bonnie pulled her hand away from the wall, choosing to lean her back against it instead. "I made it clear that I wasn't going to go to Baton Rouge with them." She regarded his face carefully as she spoke. "Contrary to what some people may think. My children are my priority."

Klaus gave her a knowing look and bit back a retort. If she wanted to provoke a reaction from him, she could keep on waiting. He didn't want to argue with her. "Good." He offered her his most charming smile. "It's about time you put yourself first."

Their eyes met and they stood contemplating each other in silence.

"Do you want anything to eat?" Klaus looked at her with concern. Bonnie looked haggard, almost sickly. He didn't like it. His hands were itching to reach out and caress her face. He was desperate to touch her, to feel her close to him. But something held him back.

"I'm not hungry."

"Bonnie-"

"Don't insist, please." She sounded tired but there was also a hint of anger in her voice.

"You are still angry with me," Klaus realized. He felt suddenly uncertain, he didn't know how to handle this. How to fix this. This was uncharted territory for him. Despite his vast experience, he had never really been in a relationship. He wasn't sure what was going on with them at the moment. Should he apologize? Did she want that? He had been doing what was best for her. He felt no regrets about keeping things from her. He had done it for her own good.

Bonnie sighed and looked away from him briefly. "I'm angry. I'm worried. I'm sad. Honestly, I'm many things at the moment and I can't really focus on one." Being pregnant and hormonal didn't help matters either.

"You should get some rest," Klaus murmured.

"I don't think I will be able to get any sleep tonight." She felt nervous and worried about the next day. Elijah had organized everything for the exchange but Bonnie couldn't help but feel anxious. So many things could go wrong, what if it was a trap? What if Luis was not truly planning on giving them Caroline? And what had poor Caroline been put through since she had been abducted?

Klaus didn't need her side of the bond open to let him know how worried she was about her friends, Caroline in particular. They were just hours away from the exchange. "You can try." He glanced down the hall, in the direction of the master bedroom. "The room is ready." He had already ordered her luggage to be brought up to their bedroom. Including her favorite teddy bear and the small pink orchid she had brought with her.