fifty-eight

𝐒𝐓. 𝐀𝐍𝐍𝐄'𝐒 𝐂𝐇𝐔𝐑𝐂𝐇

Klaus and Marcel sat on the last bench inside the church. The hybrid was staring at the altar in front of them while the former king played with the daylight ring on his finger. The ring Klaus himself had given him shortly after he turned.

While Elijah prepared everything to go to Baton Rouge and Kol and Rebekah went to the compound to see what could be salvaged, Bonnie, Davina, and Charlotte waited inside father Kieran's office. Klaus had asked to speak with Marcel alone and everyone had reluctantly respected his wishes. This conversation between them was long overdue.

Rain kept falling down hard on the roof of the church and the candles flickered from time to time as a cold wind made its way inside through the open doors. New Orleans was quiet, the streets nearly deserted as humans and supernaturals alike were still dealing with the aftermath of the battle.

The silence between them was suffocating.

Marcel glanced at Klaus from time to time, shifting nervously in his seat. He could feel that dark and potent aura that surrounded his sire prickling his skin. Klaus was different. Klaus was more powerful than he had ever been before. He had witnessed it when the hybrid tore through his army like they were nothing the day he took back the city and he had seen it again the night before as he destroyed the Navarro forces. He shuddered remembering how he had witnessed Klaus shifting into his wolf form and how he had commanded his pack to do the same. The massive black wolf alone had killed more Navarro soldiers than all the other wolves combined. He could easily rip Marcel apart if he so desired.

"You fought on our side last night," Klaus was the first one to break the silence. He kept his eyes on the altar, a neutral expression on his face.

"I did," Marcel replied. "This is my home. I was not going to let the Navarro's take it."

"How did you know we were under attack?" Klaus questioned.

Marcel shrugged.

"Let me guess," Klaus pretended to think for a second. "Thierry, your spy no doubt informed you."

Marcel's jaw clenched. He wouldn't put it past Klaus to seek revenge against Thierry. "Thierry is my friend. He's loyal," he muttered through gritted teeth. He felt tense and on edge.

Klaus rolled his eyes.

"My guys are loyal," Marcel continued in a defensive tone. "They fought for your family last night because they love this city, because they want to keep it safe."

"And I'm sure if you ask them, they will fight for you again." Klaus turned to face him. "Is that what you are planning Marcellus, to stab me in the back and take what's mine again?" The last word came out in an angry hiss.

"The city is yours." It cost him to say it. There had been a bit of hope, a bit of belief that he could one day get his city back but that hope had been destroyed the night before. After what Marcel had witnessed Klaus do, he knew better. "But let's make one thing clear. Just because you are the king doesn't mean the vampires will respect you or be loyal to you right away." Marcel met Klaus's eyes as he spoke. "Loyalty can't be bought, Klaus. You can scare them into submission, you can force them and bend them to your will but you can't force their loyalty. That only comes out of love and respect from the people that believe in you. You taught me many things but that's something I learned on my own. You can take this city from me, you can reclaim your kingdom," Marcel continued fiercely. "But you can never take away what I built with my guys nor can you expect them to forget their respect, their loyalty, their friendship to me," he hissed. "Don't punish Thierry for that. He was just trying to be a good friend, a loyal friend."