thirty-eight

Klaus felt it.

The moment Bonnie returned to the land of the living, he knew.

The bond came alive once more, pulsing with strength and conflicting emotions. It hit him so suddenly. He gasped and clutched his chest by the unexpected emotions that slammed through him. He had been pacing around the living room, feeling enraged and cursing under his breath after the failed summoning spell. And now, he could feel Bonnie once more.

"Nik, are you alright?" it was Rebekah who suddenly noticed his change in demeanor.

"Brother," Elijah moved closer, noticing that something was wrong.

Klaus closed his eyes and tuned everything out, focusing solely on the bond. Bonnie's emotions cut through his very soul. There was uncertainty, fear, and pain. So much pain, that Klaus's heart ached for her.

Where are you?

The image came to his mind almost immediately.

A cemetery in the French Quarter, Bonnie curled into a ball, tears streaming down her terrified face.

He knew where she was, he knew where to find her. Klaus took off at vampire speed without saying anything or giving anyone an explanation. His only desire was to get to Bonnie as soon as possible.

Bonnie was back. Bonnie was close. Bonnie was scared and in pain. Bonnie needed him. That was all that matter. That was all he cared about.

"What's going on?" Angelica asked.

"Niklaus!" Elijah called after him.

"Where are you-" Rebekah didn't even get to finish, in the next second Klaus was gone. She and Elijah shared a look and the two siblings proceeded to follow the Original hybrid out of the house.

"Wait!" Matt's plea fell on deaf ears. The three Original siblings disappeared as quickly as lightning.

"What the hell was that?" Lucy asked confused about the whole thing.

Everyone was confused.

"He knows where Bonnie is," Abby murmured. The hope she felt in her heart was sweet as honey. Klaus had sensed Bonnie once more, it was the only explanation. Please let my daughter me okay, she pleaded to her dead ancestors. Please let Bonnie and her children be safe.

☾☾☾

Bonnie's dreams were strange and confusing.

At first, she was flying. She was so high up in the sky, she was practically one with the clouds. The wind blew her hair over her face but she didn't care. She felt free. There was no fear, there was no pain, only a strange kind of freedom. She felt at peace, she felt safe. Oh how wonderful it was, to feel that way. She continued to fly and fly and wander aimlessly through the white and puffy clouds. There was no destination, no stopping, she simply floated about, in a reality all of her own.

Then she was drowning. Her body fought to stay afloat, to push herself to the surface so she could breathe once more. It was in vain. Her muscles cramped as she struggled to swim up. Every time she tried to go up, a hand clamped around her ankle and pulled her down into the dark and cold water. She couldn't breathe. She couldn't think. She sunk helplessly to the bottom.

Then came the fire. Bonnie was inside a ring of fire. There were so many faceless figures surrounding her, chanting in a strange language she didn't recognize or understand. They had powerful magic. Different from her own magic, from any traditional form of magic actually. They were burning her, they were hurting her. No matter how hard she tried she couldn't escape the ring of fire. Her magic was useless, it was blocked by them. She couldn't use it to defend herself. She cried for help but no one heard her.