IX - Never Be Broken

Narrator POV

"What's with the whole soldier speech" a deep purple amethyst asked one of her lighter colored comrades.

"What? Are you new here or something?" the lighter colored amethyst returned.

"Yeah, got placed here as a replacement" the darker amethyst spoke.

"The speech was him being him. He's a quartz at heart, I mean the guy has personally led every mission with us. He's on the frontlines kickin' tail with the rest of us. It's like he said, he's not gonna change now that he's a diamond" the lighter amethyst began.

By this point Pearl had caught wind of their conversation and was listening intently.

"Here look, even got a recording from an aquamarine from the March of forty-two" the light colored amethyst said whilst pulling out a small holo projector.

"Why's it called that" the darker amethyst inquired.

"It was the earliest recorded battle of the force, back before I even joined. I saw this holo on display and joined up after" the lighter amethyst began.

"It started out as a reconnaissance and support operation, but it didn't exactly go as planned. You see the forty-two in the name refers to how many members of the expeditionary force there were, and the March refers to how the force marched through hell and highwater to wipe out an enemy ambush so the main forces could plow through" the lighter amethyst finished.

The holo began to play.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Narrator POV - The March of Forty-Two

Steven leads his force of forty-one quartzes directly through enemy energy blasts and other dangers.

An energy mortar blast explodes next to him, sending plasma soaring throughout the sky. Several energy blasts near him, only to be deflected or stopped with his blade.

Steven himself is hit in the shoulder as the group nears the enemy ambush. This doesn't stop his advance however, as it simply angers him into a full sprint.

He sheathes his blade as he jumps high into the air, coming down onto the enemy group of gems with the might of a meteor. He smashes into the ground with tremendous force, sending mud and gems flying.

Distant animalistic roars are heard as poofing noises and clouds of smoke rise over the horizon.

============================================

Narrator POV - Steven

He hadn't had a good sleep in over thirteen months, and quite frankly he hadn't even properly rested in at least a year.

His every movement was painful, anguish seeping from his pores as scars both mental and physical were forced open as he was left alone in the cockpit of the craft.

His mind was nearly shattered, cracks in his ability to be as merciful as he was forming. Each strike he endured only furthering his inability to reign in his urges. He still didn't know why he spared his captors, but he was glad his morals were still present when he lost control.

Steven catches a glimpse of himself in the small glass display case on his control panel in the cockpit. A housing for an award from the diamonds.

He looked tired, which he was, and had certainly gained a few grey hairs. His damaged eye had finally fully healed, a process in which he felt every fiber and tissue slowly burn to life for the duration of it's stay. That's the issue with being a hybrid with gem healing powers though, the healing washes over him with the heat of magma. Bones snap into place and ruptured organs are quickly repaired, the blood from internal bleeding and excess tissue being forced through his throat as he coughs it all up.

Steven let's go of the control stick as the autopilot takes over, spinning around in his pilots chair. This activates a small desk with a built in holo-deck for writing reports. Steven begins to type away at his report for everything, from his capture to the torture to his new entourage.

His fingertips were sore as all get out by the end of it, but it needed to be done. All said and done it took him roughly sixteen hours to write his report, the only thing keeping him running being the loud talking and other noises from the other side of his cockpit door.

Steven doesn't submit the report immediately, instead he loads it onto a holo-pad to give to one of Yellow Pearl's many subservient messengers upon his return. His return would thankfully happen soon as he noticed the ship had entered the orbit of Homeworld, preparing to land in his private hangar.

Steven punches in authorization "We-Adore-You" as the hangar bay opens. Hangar working gems all stare at the ship as it lands, with Steven sighing as he grabs the holo-pad and stands up. He allows everyone to edit before he does, for dramatic effect or for the fact that he was simply so tired he didn't have the energy to speak to anyone.

Steven is stared at in awe as he walks with purpose towards the Yellow Pearl messenger platform near the end of the hangar. Gems look on in several emotions as Steven's face is revealed to the public. His fleshy tones new to the Homeworlders.

Upon sending his holo-pad down the messenger platforms warpmail system he immediately heads to the secret entrance to his room, beckoning his entourage and Jasper to follow him. He points to rooms along the path, moderate rooms mostly used for era one recreation. Steven however did not use these old rooms. Each room had a door with a large window next to it, though each room did have a privacy tint that could be activated with a button.

The gems take the hint and access their new rooms as Steven reaches his room and immediately phases off everything besides his underwear before phasing on a pair of snug fitting rest clothes.

He collapses on his bed as he hears thunderous steps start in the throne room, which were now heading towards his room.

His eyes shut and he fell unconscious as someone accessed his door in a hurry.

============================================