XXII - Corruption Conundrum - Interlude

Narrator POV

Steven stood silently at the memorial he had created for those he had lost in the many battles and expeditions he had led. Each lost gem burning a hole in his heart.

He always wanted to be sure all of his gems got back in one piece, unfortunately he couldn't always do that. He failed them.

Steven remembers the worst battle he'd ever been in with the expeditionary force. He was the only survivor.

Steven shook his head and solemnly walked away, trying to focus on his current task. During corruption. He had, with Peridot's help, designed a device that could draw upon his gem's power and inner powers to cleanse the universe of corruption, wherever it may reside. The only downside of course being potential destruction of Steven's being.

Steven didn't care however, after hearing what corruption did to gems on Earth he wanted to cure them. No matter the cost.

Steven made his way to his workshop, his mind ready to work.

He quickly gathered his tools and the materials he needed and began work on project Matrix, as he had taken to calling it. The device, which Steven referred to simply as The Matrix was quite simple in design.

An orb like center with handles on either side, which upon pulling said handles would open the orb like center and draw the raw power from Steven's gem into a large pink enhancement Crystal, which was focused through small focusers inside the orb like construction of the center.

As stated previously, it was simple. It was effective though and that's what really mattered.

Steven finished The Matrix in a scant few hours, the elegant curves of the centerpiece gently guiding his hand to the the handholds.

Steven quickly pulled away however, knowing he had to activate inside his mother's healing pool. He also had to gather all the corrupted gems. This would be a relatively easy task as Garnet and the Crystal Gems had collected all of them prior to his arrival on Earth.

All he had to do was have Garnet go collect them, which was an easy task.

Steven quickly activated his newly crafted prosthetic's Private Diamond Communication, or as it was simply known, a commlink. Granted his, and the other Diamond's by proxy, was special in it's encryption and privacy.

His prosthetic's special light based construction and some specialty gem tech courtesy of Peridot allowed him to simply think about what he wants to say and it will pop up on his screen, pending approval.

Steven sends a message to Garnet as he sits by his mom's and once again by proxy his small court's warp-pad.

He nods to Garnet as she enters the warp stream and disappears, sitting idly and slowly letting his mind shut off. He may not like resting on his laurels, but that didn't mean he couldn't take a nap every now and then. Steven falls backwards as he begins to snore loudly.

=============================================