fifty one

CHAPTER FIFTY-ONE
Hawkins, Indiana

"What do you think Eddie would like?" Asked Dustin

"What do you think Eddie would like?" Asked Dustin. "Cocoa Puffs or Honeycombs?"

"I don't know." Steve sighed, he was already carrying a basket of groceries for the guy and ready to leave. "You've already got him Yoo-Hoo and a Snickers. I think you can hold off on any more chocolate."

Dustin nodded and threw the box of Honeycombs into the basket Steve was holding.

Max came around the corner of the aisle and placed two litres of water into the basket. "Thank you, Max. For being smart and buying essentials."

Dustin glared at Steve and threw a bag of Funyuns into the basket. Robin laughed. "Steve, the guy is in dire circumstances. I doubt he's worried about his health, I bet he wants to eat his feelings right about now."

The four of them headed to the check out and waited in a line that was longer than Steve would like. The basket had gotten heavier than he had expected and it was weighing on his arm. "Can I ask you a question?" Said Dustin.

Steve grunted. "I'm gonna say no. But I'm sure you're gonna ask anyway."

"Did something happen in California?"

Max turned to Dustin and elbowed him straight in the ribs. "Dude, I thought we decided to not bring that up?"

"What can I say! I'm a curious guy!"

To think of it, Steve couldn't think of anything that happened in California at all. That's why he had been avoiding the subject so hard. He remembered being in California, the sun, the warm air, the smog... then he remembered stepping off a plane and being back in Hawkins.

"No. Why would you ask that?"

Dustin ignored him and instead looked at Max. "I think he's having a mental breakdown. The stress of Dylan breaking up with him a second time must have been so traumatic he's repressing it."

Max gave Steve a once-over. "Make sense. It's a hard loss. Even Billy didn't know what to do with himself when Dylan dumped him."

Dustin nodded in agreement. "Three break-ups in three years. That would be tough on anybody."

"What are you guys on about?" Steve butted in defensively. "I have not been dumped three times in three years."

Max and Dustin shared a glance. Max twirled her pointer finger at her temple and Dustin chuckled. "Whatever you say, Harrington. We totally believe you."

Steve didn't say anything back, he was too fluterested to come up with words. He didn't even know what they were talking about and he didn't care enough to ask them to elaborate. It would probably just infuriate him more. "Let's buy this shit and get out of here."

Steve and the others barged into Reefer's Rick's shed, scaring the shit out of Eddie again in the process. Steve couldn't blame the guy; the guy had witnessed an innocent cheerleader die right in front of his eyes with no explanation and then got blamed for the crime. It would definitely put anyone on edge.