eleven

CHAPTER ELEVEN

CHAPTER ELEVEN

"I'M DRIVING BACK!" DYLAN SWIPED THE KEYS FROM AROUND MAX'S FINGERS. "Not a word about it."

Max opened her mouth in protest and then shut it again.

"That's what I thought."

"Shotgun!" Dustin called and ran towards the car.

The Byer house was still empty when they returned, no sign of Nancy or Jonathan. Everything was exactly how they left it. Even Billy was sprawled out on the living room floor, the floorboards splintered around him. He looked innocent like that. She wished it could stay that way.

"What are we going to do with him?" Dylan sighed, "We can't leave him here for Joyce to deal with."

"Toss him into the woods. The lake. I don't know. I don't care." Steve said angrily.

Dylan ignored him and looked around at the kids for an answer. They all shrugged.

"Max, would you help me shove him into my mom car? I'll leave him on your doorstep."

Max chuckled but nodded. "Sure, I guess you're right anyway. We can't leave him here."

Both girls bent down and attempted to lift Billy but the dead weight was too much and they ended up dropping him back onto the floor.

"I'll help." Steve muttered begrudgingly, leaning over to grab Billy's legs. Max and Dylan grabbed his shoulders and somehow they managed to shove him into the backseat of her Volkswagen. For the second time that night, she had shoved an unconscious boy into the back of a car—a strange record.

Max headed back inside but Steve lingered as Dylan fiddled for her car keys. The silence between them was suffocating but Dylan couldn't be bothered to break it.

"Sooo," he drawled out. "Are we cool?"

"No." Dylan immediately replied. "We're not cool but you were right. This was my fight. After tonight, we don't talk anymore."

"Dylan, please." He pleaded with her. "I've told you everything now. I couldn't tell you before but if you let me explain why—"

"There is no why in the world that would be a good enough excuse," she pulled open the driver's door. "You knew my sister was dead for a year, Steve, and you hid it. You just don't get over something like that."

Billy stirred in the backseat.

"I don't have time for this. I have to get him home or a hospital, somewhere."

Steve pointed at Billy, passed out in her car. "Are you going to give him a second chance?"

"I don't know."