fifty seven

CHAPTER FIFTY SEVEN
Hawkins, Indiana

Steve sat in the back of Nancy's parent's station wagon with a six-pack of beer that didn't belong to him and a can of Pringles he and Dustin were sharing back and forth

"So," Dustin prompted, a mouth full of food. "We've got some time to talk about it now."

"About what?" Asked Steve, feigning dumb.

"You know, you forgetting dating Dylan Holland but also, you know, seeing weird shit like living with her in California and buying her a diamond ring."

Steve shoved Dustin backward; he tipped back and hit his head on the wall of the car. "Shh!" Steve warned him.

Dustin rubbed the back of his head. "What the hell, man?"

It was too late to be quiet anyway, Max whipped around in the seat in front of them and eyed them both suspiciously. "Wait—so you really don't remember? Dustin, catch me up to speed, please."

Lucas turned around, too. "And me. I don't want to be left out of shit anymore."

"It's really not that big of a deal." Steve shrugged, attempting to deflect.

As always, Dustin never let him get his way.

"Ouch," Dustin said dramatically, still rubbing the back of his head. "Can you tell me the last romantic thing you remember about Dylan?"

Steve thought about it. He remembered asking her out at the Snow Ball but everyone already knew about that, unfortunately. Before and after that, there was almost nothing.

"The last romantic thing I remember about Dylan Holland, well the Snow Ball incident," Steve said with a sigh. "Other than that... I mean, we slept together in junior year. But that was just a hook-up. Not romantic."

Nancy's head snapped around to face them in the back. "What do you mean you slept together in junior year?"

Lucas whistled lowly. "You probably shouldn't have opened that can of worms, Harrington."

Nancy locked eyes with Steve through the rear view mirror, her eyes angry and accusatory."We were together in your junior year."

Steve honestly hasn't realized she had been listening or could even hear their conversation in the back of the car. He'd also forgotten how murky that timeline was. He'd never admitted out loud, to anybody, other than Tommy H. back when it went down, that he'd cheated on Nancy way back in early days.

"It was before all that," Steve dismissed. "In the summer."

A lie. He wasn't willing to get into all that right now and so a lie was easiest. Nancy didn't seem convinced but she didn't press it.

It was Robin who turned around next, turning around erratically in the front passenger seat, and shaking her head at Steve. "Wait. Can we rewind? Steve you slept with Dylan Holland and you've been withholding this information from us?"