fifty six

CHAPTER FIFTY SIX
Middle of Nowhere, Nevada

Dylan was getting restless; all she could see for miles was sand

Dylan was getting restless; all she could see for miles was sand. It had been all she could see for days and there was no indication they were getting any closer to NINA other than the belief that the coordinates Suzie had given the group were correct.

Dylan sat in the passenger seat, where she had been so long now it felt she might just melt into the chair, and Jonathan was driving.

He took his eyes off the road for a second and looked at her with heavy eyes.

"Your locket," said Johnathan. "What's inside?"

Dylan looked down at her chest and frowned. She couldn't remember where she'd gotten the gold piece of jewelry or what was inside. She reached for the clasp and pried open the locket. Inside was a picture of her and Barb, Dylan was probably still a pre-teen. Steve stood behind them, throwing up a peace sign over her head. The photo only brought more confusion—when had Steve given this to her? She couldn't remember. Had she had since she was little? That felt like something she should know.

"You, Barb, and Steve," Jonathan's brow furrowed as he held the tiny photo in his hand. "I didn't think you guys were friends anymore."

"We're not." Dylan said, feeling a pang in in her chest as she uttered the words. It was as if her body was rejecting them. "I guess I just got so used to wearing it."

Dylan reached for the back of her neck, attempting to take it off. Johnathan grabbed her hand.

"It's a nice picture. You and Barb. You should keep it on."

Dylan nodded. She didn't have much of her sister these days and something inside of her didn't really want to remove the necklace.

"It kinda backs up Mike and Will's theory, doesn't it?" Jonathan said after awhile. "I mean, you wearing Steve around your neck."

"And Barb." Dylan replied, a little too defensively.

Jonathan shrugged.

"Holy shit!" Exclaimed Argyle from the backseat. He leaned forward in between Dylan and Jonathan and pointed at the windshield, a little to the left. "Are you guys not seeing this?"

Mike and Will were quick to push their heads into the front as well, all three of them soon smushed together, fighting to get a better look. Dylan's eyes followed where Argyle's finger was pointing.

Her mouth opened wide as she noticed, just ahead in the distance, a military helicopter losing control and spinning in the sky.

Below the helicopter was a figure, almost so small Dylan almost didn't notice it. It stood before the helicopter an arm outstretched to the sky.

"Eleven." Said Jonathan.

His foot slammed on the accelerator while Will and Mike shouted "Drive! Drive!"