forty five

CHAPTER FORTY FIVE" SORRY FOR YOUR LOSS "

CHAPTER FORTY FIVE
" SORRY FOR YOUR LOSS "

SUN BLARED IN THROUGH THE WINDOW. For a moment, Dylan forgot the events of the day before, until the sleep wore off and she remembered she was in Steve's bed, not her own.

She quietly sat up, trying not to wake Steve, who was still sleeping beside her. Dylan leaned over and reached for the phone on the bedside table.

Steve stirred, then woke.  "What are you doing?"

The phone continued to ring. "I'm trying to call Max. I gotta know she's okay."

The phone rang with no sign of anyone picking up the other line. Dylan sighed and hung up.

Steve sat behind her, rubbing her shoulders. Dylan hadn't realized how tense she'd been until she relaxed into his touch. It seemed all weirdness and animosity between them had to wait, a silent agreement had been made that there were more important things to be dealt with.

"When can go over there later. We can bring her some ice cream, maybe some flowers...?"

"No flowers, she'd hate that," Dylan laughed, "but ice cream is a good idea. And some magazines, maybe a new tape."

"Let's get ready then!" Steve jumped to his feet. "And we'll go."

"Alright. But first I gotta go home. I haven't been there in days."

Steve pulled into her driveway and they walked to her front door. The door swung open before they were even off the lawn and her mom ran outside, pulling her into a tight embrace.

"Oh! I was worried sick!" Her mom exclaimed, muffled by Dylan's T-shirt clad shoulder. "I heard what happened at the mall! I thought I saw you on the news... I thought something could have happened... Your dad thought maybe you stayed at Nancy's again but—"

"You did see me on the news, Mom." Dylan squeezed her mom closer. "I was there. I lucked out. I should've called, I'm sorry, it was just all so overwhelming—"

"Hush! Don't apologize!" Her mom cut her off. She let go of Dylan and stepped back, giving Dylan a once-over. "You look well. A few bruises, a few scratches... but thank God you're okay! I heard a boy died, and the Sheriff—"

Her dad appeared from behind her mom, grabbing Dylan just as tight, and then placing a kiss on her forehead. "You had us worried, sweetie."

"Dylan was at the mall!" Her mom said to her dad. "I knew that was her on the news! You must tell us what happened!"

Dylan nodded. "For sure, and I will, I promise. But I really only came home to let you know I was safe. That boy that died... he was my friend. Steve and I were going to put together a care package and bring it to her."

"Oh." Her mom held a hand to her chest. "Billy. I should've known, you were going with him for awhile, right? I'm sorry to hear that."

Her mom finally acknowledged Steve a step behind Dylan, the shock of everything seeming to wear off slightly. Her mom took his hand and gave it a squeeze. "Steve! I'm so glad you were both together. That makes me feel a little better. But, oh, your poor face!"