fifty five

CHAPTER FIFTY FIVE
Hawkins, Indiana

CHAPTER FIFTY FIVEHawkins, Indiana

"Wake up! Wake up!"

Steve was stirred awake by Nancy, leaning over and shaking him by the shoulder where he had been slumped over in an armchair.

He sat up in a panic. "What? What's going on?"

"We've found something."

Max and Dustin were already waking up Lucas and Robin. When all teenagers were conscious, Nancy let them know what they had figured out: Max had been seeing Victor Creel murder house in her Vecna-induced dreams. To Dustin, Max, and Nancy this meant it was time to wake up, get ready, and break-in to the old abandoned murder house in question. To Steve, it felt more like they should stay as far away as possible.

He was vastly outnumbered—which explained why he was walking around in the dark, Dustin at his side, looking for clues in Creel's creepy foreclosed property.

"Hey, uh, Henderson—Could you clarify what sort of clues we should be looking for?"

Dustin took it upon himself to reply back in a terrible British accent. "The world is full of obvious things which nobody by any chance ever observes."

Steve said nothing.

"Sherlock Holmes?"

Steve was less than amused. "Okay. Thanks. That's great."

Dustin laughed. "You're more irritable than normal, you know? Maybe you should go back to California, soak up all that vitamin D again."

Steve frowned. "Can I ask you something?"

"You can ask it." Dustin shrugged. "Doesn't mean I'll answer."

Steve rolled his eyes. "All that stuff you said about Dylan, were you just fucking with me?"

Dustin paused in step and turned around, pointing his flashlight up at Steve. "What stuff do you mean?"

"Her not rejecting me at the Snow Ball, us dating, me following her to California... All that."

Dustin squinted up at Steve, still blinding him with his flashlight. "I wasn't fucking with you. Why are you asking this now?"

Steve shook his head. "You're gonna think I'm nuts."

"Oh come on! Everything we've done the last three years has been nuts!"