nineteen

CHAPTER NINETEEN

CHAPTER NINETEEN

"BIG CITY BOYS! HERE!" TINA EXCITEDLY RAMBLED TO DYLAN. "Can you believe it? I can't wait for them to arrive."

Dylan discreetly rolled her eyes and continued to fill plastic cups with water from the cooler in preparation for the big game. Hawkins vs Metro. It was the last game before Christmas break and the biggest of the year.  Steve had called her last night and de-stressed on the phone for over two hours — it could have been longer but Marsha Holland had to phone Nancy's mom about their annual cookie exchange get-together.

"They're so dreamy, you know? They've got a different way about them."

Tina had joined Dylan early before the game, claiming to want to help Dylan with her watergirl duties. Dylan was able to conclude Tina was only here to catch a glimpse of the boys from Metro High School within the first two minutes of her presence.

"I've had enough boy problems," Dylan turned to Tina. "I don't need to add any more into the mix."

Tina pouted. "C'mon, it's exciting isn't it? I mean I know I'm tired of looking at the same faces over and over again."

That was doubtful, Dylan thought to herself. Tina was always swooning over some guy, usually Steve Harrington and as of late, Billy Hargrove.

"We can't all be as boy crazy as you, Tina," she mused, "it's a gift very few possess."

"I think that was an insult but I'm taking it as a compliment."

The local boy poured into the gym first. Steve made a beeline for her table which made her bite back a grin.

"How're my favourite girls today?" Tina reddened and Dylan rolled her eyes. She shook her head at Steve, who discreetly winked at her. He was getting a kick out of messing with Tina.

"Oh, I'm just awesome." Tina chirped in reply. "I've been helping Dylan here set up for today's game."

Steve eyed Dylan's small table in amusement. "That's great, Tina. I'm sure its real hard to pour up water for us guys."

Tina eagerly nodded, not sensing Steve's obvious sarcasm.

"Its just exhausting," Dylan said, playing into Steve's charade. "And not rewarding in the least. You boys appreciate nothing!"

"I'm sure they do, Dylan. They're just too busy winning!"

"Oh, no, Tina!" Dylan disagreed heartedly. "Not even a thank you! Steve is the worst. He doesn't even look at me as he takes the water I worked so hard to get ready."

The Metro High boys filed into the gym, pushing and shoving their way into the girl's locker room — which was currently being used as the away team's headquarters. Tina lost all interest in Dylan and Steve the moment the other team pushed open the gym doors. Dylan laughed as she watched Tina walk away, eagerly trying to catch the eye of one of the 'big city boys' and Steve joined in.