Chapter 3 | The Cakeeater

As Banks led the way Anastasia was having a tough time forming a conversation. Minutes had passed since anyone had spoken creating an awkward silence between them. Banks had decided to start the conversation.

He clears his throat, so....
Anastasia glances at him as she fiddles with her fingers.
You just moved here
Yes, Anastasia replied. Didn't I just say that.
Where are you from?
Manhattan, New York. My parents and I moved here last month.
Oh, okay. Adam watched her from the corner of his eye trying to figure out what to say next.

......

Twenty minutes later , they had made it through the park. Anastasia was enjoying the silence as she kept her eyes on the calmness of the night sky. Adam glances at her trying to come up with something to say. Anything to stop the awkwardness.

Come on just talk to her like she's a Duck.

So, why do you go by Lion?
Anastasia looks at him and replies, It's kinda a thing with my friends. We all have nicknames; well not all of us but most. I got the name Lion, because of the stuffed animal I dragged around with me when I was a kid; it kinda just stuck. Then my hockey team started calling me that too.

Adam smiles at that finally finding a common ground.
I play hockey too, my friends call me Banks and Cakeeater because I live in Edina. I play center. What position are you?

Ooohh.... I used to play center, I don't play hockey anymore after my injury, Anastasia looks at the ground.

Oh, I'm so sorry.

It's okay really it happened awhile ago. I just haven't played hockey in awhile.

I get that when I played in the Goodwill games against Iceland my wrist got injured; I had to sit out of a few games. Thankfully I got to play the Championship.

Oh, okay well I'm glad it's healed now to play hockey in highschool.

Yeah, what school are you going to? The Ducks and I received scholarships to Eden Hall Academy.

Well then I guess I'll be seeing you tomorrow. I'm attending Eden Hall Academy too. I was beginning to worry I wouldn't know anyone.

Before they knew it they were standing on the sidewalk in front of Anastasia's house.
Well you have me and the ducks. I'll be looking out for you tomorrow. Banks says.

Anastasia's smiles, well it was nice to meet you Adam.

You too

Bye, she waves as she walks up the driveway to her home.