Chapter 13 | The Healing Process (Part 2)

The trip to Manhattan General Hospital was uneventful and filled with awkwardness as Racetrack and Anastasia had not spoken all morning. Spot had been keeping an eye on them annoyingly waiting for Racetrack to make the first move.

They had made it to the first floor hallway, right before the elevator, as Spot turns toward them blocking their path.

What's goin' on? You have been ignorin' eachotha since this mornin'. Spot looks between Race and Lion.

Leave it alone Conlon.

Spot senses how mad Lion is and let's her go into the elevator.

Race? Spot looks questionably at him.

Its nothin' Spot wes sorta kissed last night. Wes has not talked about it though.

Don't explain why shes mad.

We fell asleep and Ise left the bed before she woke up so mom didn't see.

Let me guess youse didn't tell her dat Spot folds his arm looking at his brother.

...

Anastasia reaches Jack's room as he's busy eating lunch or what passes for lunch in a hospital.

Hey Jack Anastasia walks into the room.

Hey Lion Jack looks at her what's got you troubled?

Jack I made a really bad decision yesterday. I was having nightmares and I called Race and We kinda kissed.

Okay whats the matta with that? Race has had a thing for ya for two years. Jack looks at Anastasia offering her to sit down in the chair next to his bed.

I knows but there's this guy Adam Banks.

Oh I heard about him; Blink and Mush told me.

Yeah well I think there's maybe somethin' between us and Ise kinda want there to be. Anastasia looks down at her fingers. I can't break Race's heart.

Youse just gotta tell him though it's gonna hurt more if you don't.

I knows but...

Look I knows youse try to make everyone happy but sometimes you have to do what's right for you.

Like hockey? Anastasia look up at Jack.
Ise really want to play but Ise scared I will hurt myself.

Is that what you're scared of, cause the Lion Vlanterrin I knows wouldn't let that stop her.

So youse think I should play?

Yeah you love hockey ya only stop because youse got hurt but now ya all betta.

Thanks Jack, Anastasia hugs Jack softly trying not to hurt him.

.....

Well if it ain't Jack be nimble, Jack be quick. Spot walks into the hospital room.

How's life treatin' ya Spot?

It's all the same Jacky boy. Keepin' my brooklyn boys unda control and hangin' out with Manhattan since Lion came. Hey I heard youse gettin' out in a week.

Yeah docta say Ise good enough to go home soon.

Hey Race. Jack's says looking behind Spot.

Anastasia looks at the door as Race lingers in the entrance.

Hey Jack youse look betta

Feel it too

Jack looks at Lion, Spot and Ise gotta talk about some leada things.

Lion gets up and Race and her exit the room walking to the front of the hospital.

.....

Race turns to Anastasia Ise sorry I left this mornin' I didn't want my mom to see us in bed togetha.

I understand. Really do but Race I... Anastasia look down frowning I really don't want to break his heart

You what Racetrack asks taking her hand looking into her brown eyes.

I think that maybe Anastasia looks at their interwoven hands this happened to fast and we are better off friends.

Race let's go of her hand staying silent.

Anastasia looks up into his brown eyes Im sorry Race but...

This is about that Adam Banks from Minnesota. He begins to turn red. Youse act real different when ya with them.

No I don't Anastasia folds her arms.

You do wes all see it. The way youse talk, your personality and the way youse treat us wes all see it. Youse not the same Lion no more.

A tear escapes Anastasia's eyes.

Ise told you I loved you last night and youse knew how I felt about ya and decided to play with my heart.

No Racetrack I wouldn't do that to you.

Save it Ise don't believe anythin' youse say. Don't call me or text me when youse go back wes no longer friends Race walks back into the hospital.

Anastasia grabs her phone a dials Adam Banks as tears roll down her face.

It finally picks up on the last ring. Hey Ana
you okay?

I guess her voice cracks as she wipes her tears, I was just calling to see how you were doing?

Are you sure?...Oh I'm doing okay, just hanging out with the Ducks... Connie and Julie say they miss you.

Not really but it will be okay. Tell them I miss them too. I think I'm going to come home on tomorrow night, Jack is doing better.

We should hang out after school Thursday Adam blurts nervously playing with his hockey stick.

That sounds good, I'll see you on Thursday.

Anastasia begins the walk back to the Fortes house alone as her phone rings revealing a familiar number. She knew she probably shouldn't answer it but something in the back of her mind was pulling her closer to him.

Hello? Anastasia answers.

*Leaving it on a cliffhanger sorry not sorry (: You're going to want to remember this scene as it is important for later.*