Chapter 22 | Meeting the Newsies (Part 2)

The rest of the school day raced by as nothing eventful happened. A few lessons, a few assignments you know the normal school day. But now school was over; and Anastasia, Portman, and Fulton were back in his dorm watching another movie.

Anastasia looks over at Portman as he concentrates on the movie.

So how was detention?

Stupid getting a detention because we're late shouldn't be a thing. Right bro?

Mhmm Fulton says as his eyes stay glued to the television.

I have to go to the bathroom. Anastasia gets up from the floor as her purse buzzes.

Babe can you answer that, she shouts from the bathroom.

Portman gets up from the floor walking over to his bed. He begins to dig through her purse reaching for the phone. As he retrieves it he clicks the green phone icon.

Hello Dean says looking confused.

Where's Lion?

Who? And whose this?

Lion Vlanterrin Spot Conlon replies.
Spot Conlon. Who this?

Her boyfriend. Dean Portman, why are you calling my girl Lion?

So you're Portman, how do ya not know who Lion is when youse datin' her. Must feel real left out since she didn't tell ya. But let me make it easy for ya.

And you must feel real tough to talk to me like that through a phone.

Anastasia opens the bathroom door overhearing that and quickly grabs the phone knowing her boyfriend's and her friends' tempers. She clicks the speaker icon.
Hey Conlon Anastasia says looking at Dean shaking her head and smirking.

Lion, how come youse boyfriend dont know about us callin' ya Lion?

You're on speaker Dean can hear you and our friend Fulton is here too. And it never came up or I would have told him.

Anastasia looks at Dean. Its cause I used to drag a stuffed Lion around when I was little and then my Manhattan hockey team used to call me that too for other reasons.

Okay so how come he didn't just say that Fulton says as he turns his head towards Portman and Vlanterrin.

Didn't want to Spot speaks through the phone. Also what's with ya friend with the long brown hair that was sittin' by youse captain.

Portman takes this chance to talk, Must feel real stupid to not know whats going on.

How the hell would I know from Manhattan.

Dean, Spot stop! I'm drowning with your freaking egos. Dean that was uncalled for and Spot stop trying to get a reaction out of people. Anyway Connie and I aren't friends ever since I started dating Portman and also Connie likes you.

More like obsessed Fulton chimes in.

More like delusional Dean adds.

Spot laughs a bit. I ain't interested.

I told her that you don't do long distance; but she's been consistent on getting to know you after just seeing a picture of you. Everyone was asking who you are.

I ain't interested in gettin' to know her.

As you mentioned already Conlon, Anastasia laughs. But don't worry it would be an honor to tell her myself.

Dean and Fulton look at Anastasia.

What I'll be nice about it, she sweetly smiles at them.

Don't believe her, a voice speaks through the phone.

Fulton chuckles we didn't believe her for a second.

Hey I take offense to that I can be nice.

So wese just gonna act like youse didn't tell off Blink after we searched for ya for hours after the whole Race thing, Mush states.

And what about the time Dean helped steady you before you fell in front of everyone and you told him off, Fulton adds.

Okay okay maybe I don't have the best streak in being nice but I'm not terrible. Anastasia pouts handing the phone to Portman.

Just a temper, Spot says.

Wese love youse anyway Lion, Mush adds trying to cheer up his friend.

Love you too Mush, Anastasia shouts.

Dean looks at the time. Babygirl we have to go Jordan's here.

Okay, Anastasia gets up grabbing her bookbag, purse, and jacket. I have to go now but I'll talk to you and Spot later.

Okay and Dean youse better treat Lion right or youse gonna have to deal with all of Manhattan Mush says threatening

The Brooklyn newsies too Spot roughly adds.

I'll treat her right nothing to worry about.

Okay we really have to go. Anastasia quickly says and hangs up.

They seemed cool Fulton says.

Yeah they are, I'll see you later babe Anastasia stands on her tip toes kissing her boyfriend softly as he kisses her back running his hands through her hair.

Minutes later Fulton clears his throat. Anastasia steps away from Portman and says goodbye to Fulton as she closes the door behind her.