Chapter 23 | Unexpected Events

Monday, September 30th
Time: 6:30pm

Anastasia spent hours researching how to ask someone to the Sadie Hawkins dance and pasting ideas into a word document. Her list consisted mostly with ideas of asking Dean Portman with food or a poster. As she was working on the perfect plan a video call popped up with a picture of Jack Kelly. Anastasia clicks on accept as a small window of Jack's face appears.

Hey Jack? Anastasia's face brightens.

Jack flips the screen as the image of Race fighting her ex and hockey player, Nathan fills the screen.

What the hell? Anastasia's face suddenly falls as the scene in front of her unfolds.

Jack flips the screen back, Nathan was spreadin' insults about ya through the whole school about whys ya left. He sayin' ya wouldn't leave him alone after youse two slept togetha. At least that's what ise heard. Who knows what otha things he's been sayin'.

Anastasia eyes begin to swell up as they become warm and her mind spirals with what rumors her ex and his friends spread around Manhattan. A tear began to run down her face as her mind filled with thoughts of what Adam Banks, Dean Portman, and her other friends would think of her if they were to ever find out. As she wipes any traces of evidence she was crying Anastasia heard Nathan ragged voice spill out the word Anastasia and bitch. She looked up and saw that Jack's face had turned red with anger as he spits out the words " I have to go". He clicks end call.

(A/N the top picture of Jesse is how I imagine Nathan to look when I wrote this.)

Anastasia sits by her computer as anger and sadness overpowers her. She stands up from her desktop in anger and flings herself to her bed as she cries. Her mind concentrated on her friends and her boyfriend as she overthinks what had occurred a moment ago. As she pondered what could go wrong if it were to spread to Eden Hall she was grateful for her friends; and hoped they would not get hurt because of the stupid comments coming from Nathan. Anastasia knew what kind of man he was and knew that he could cause a lot of harm for the people she cared most about. Her thoughts were broken as her phone began to ring on her bedside table with a picture of her and Julie.

Hey girl Anastasia spoke as she sat on her bed with a smile that didn't quite reach her eyes.

What's wrong? Julie asks as she tapped her pencil on her desk.

Anastasia looks away from the screen it's nothing.

Really?. Tell your face that then. Julie replies rolling her eyes.

Anastasia stands up and begins to pace her room.

It's just that Jack and Racetrack got into a fight with Nathan a somewhat ex of mine. He was spreading rumors about me and calling me bitch and everything. He told everyone that the reason I left was because I got crazy after we slept together. And.. and...

Okay Ana, it's okay calm down you know it's not true and I understand it makes you upset but all of us are here for you.

B..but what if the rumors spread to Eden Hall and get to, Anastasia sniffles, ... and get to Dean (and Banks not that she was going to say that out loud.) Like I don't want him to think less of me. I don't want to lose him. Anastasia gets up pacing the room.

Portman isn't going to think less of you Ana; just because of these rumors. I've known Portman since the goodwill games he isn't like that at all. But you should let him know what's happening. I mean after all he is your boyfriend. Julie replies trying to reason with her best friend.

I know I'm just I don't know... Adam and I didn't work and now Dean and I are in a good place. I don't want anything coming between us and I promised it wouldn't. I know you said I should tell him but I just don't know. He wouldn't really find out though right like how would he find out.

Girl, it's up to you. Do what you think is right. But I really think you need to tell him.

I'm not sure but thanks for letting me vent though.

No problem what are best friends for. Also, I called to see what day we could work on the proposals so we can ask Portman and Scooter.

Yeah we can work on soon I'll ask my parents if you can come over. I'll buy some stuff we can use just bring your essentials. How are you asking Scooter?

I was thinking of a poster that seems the easiest.

True, I might do that to or ask Portman with food. I haven't really decided. I was looking online and there's so many creative ideas. But we will talk about it later girl. I'm going to bed, I'll see you tomorrow.

Okay night.

As Anastasia clicked end call and started her nightly routine her door creaked. Honey? he calls from the entrance.

I'm in here dad, Anastasia yells out.

Footsteps become closer as David takes a seat by her desktop.

Ana, your mom and I think we haven't been talking since the move. We just wanted to make sure you're happy here and adjusting.

Yes dad I'm happy here. I would be happier if Nathan left my friends alone.

How's Dean, he still walks on water and everything right? and your other friends?

They're doing well. Can Julie come over there's a Sadie Hawkins dance coming up and we wanted to do posters for the proposals.

That shouldn't be a problem. David yawns. I'm going to go to bed don't be up late. He walks out of the room.

Night Dad, Anastasia climbs into bed and instantly goes to sleep.