Chapter 11 | Heavy Hearts (Part 3)

Three hours later and today's homework finished the voice of the pilot became clear.

We will begin descending into JFK in twenty five minutes at this time the attendants will come to collect any remaining trash and we ask for all trays to be in a upright position.

Anastasia begins to collect her homework and puts it into her teal bookbag as the seat belt light overhead turns on. She locks in her tray and puts her seatbelt on as she becomes nervous to see everyone in these conditions.

....

She walks out of the corridor spotting Ms. Fortes, a thirty year old Caucasian women with hazel eyes and wavy brown hair, standing at the gate.

Hi Ms. Fortes, Anastasia greets.

Hi Ana, it's so good to see you even under these conditions. Ms. Fortes gives her a hug as Ana returns it.

Have you heard any news about Jack?

No, Race hasn't said anything yet besides they were still at the hospital. Do they know you're here?

No only two of my friends from school Julie and Connie now I'm here. I came straight away after Nick told me that it was a code 9.

Ms. Fortes nods her head as she listens to Anastasia. They make it to the baggage claim and wait for Ana's suitcase. She quickly grabs it as it turns the corner in front of them.

How are your parents doing? I'm surprised they let you come across the country without them.

They are doing well. Which reminds me they told me to text them when I get off the plane.

Anastasia quickly pulls out her phone.
Dad, I'm okay I'm with Ms. Fortes.

They had meetings to go to this week that they couldn't cancel. Anastasia looks at Ms. Fortes.

Ms. Fortes and Anastasia exit the airport and begin to walk down the parking lot. Suddenly, they stop at a deep violet blue car as the trunk is popped open. Anastasia picks up her suitcase and puts it in with her bookbag. She closes the trunk as the ignition in the car begins, as they set off towards Manhattan General Hospital.

....

As the car makes a full stop in front of Manhattan General Hospital, Anastasia runs to the hospital's front desk as she hold her purse tightly to her.

Hi, can you tell me what room Jack Kelly is in I'm his sister.
The receptionist types on her computer and Anastasia taps her foot.
Jack Kelly, third floor room 318.
Anastasia waits for Ms. Fortes, he's in room 318 on the third floor.
They go to the elevator and go up to the third floor.
Okay, I'm going to go talk to the nurse and see if I can find out any information. Ms. Fortes says. Anastasia nods.

Anastasia walks to the front desk, hello I'm here to see Jack Kelly...

Lion? a Brooklyn accent fills her ears.

Anastasia turns, well if it is Spot Conlon, she weakly smiles.

Lion Vlanterrin, how you doin' kid?
Medda, Jack's foster mom, comes into view okay I guess. Does anyone know how Jack is doing?

He's okay he went into surgery, the doctor said we could see him. Lion Spot you should go see him. As she looks from Spot to Anastasia.

They begin to walk down the dull white hallway. So how's Minneapolis and Adam Banks, if he doesn't treat youse right me and my boys will soak em' Spot shows his trademark glare.

Yeah, yeah I knows. Theyse all good. Except kinda Dean Portman but I feel like you two could be good friends... You know since you both have major egos. Lion smiles glancing at Spot.

Comes with the territory, doll.

Spot Conlon and Anastasia walked inside of the room.

Lion! Racetrack Higgins says shocked how did you get here.

I walked, how do you think Ise got here Race, Lion rolls her eyes smirking.

Regular old Lion sarcasm Blink says.

She gives Race and Blink a hug.

Ise must be dreamin' I think Ise heard ya say Lion is here. Jack says putting his hand to his heart.

Hey Cowboy, Lion walks toward the hospital bed walking through newsies. She sees Jack connected to several machines and many bandages on him. How are you feeling?

He's in a hospital bed how do ya think he's feelin' Spot states. Lion turns around glaring at him.

I came she turns back to Jack as soon as I heard. My parents said to tell you that they hope you feel better soon and that they are sorry they couldn't come.

It's okay Jack readjust to a some what comfortable position.

So what happened? Lion crosses her arms not believing that he's okay for one second.

Drunk driva crashed into me he coughs. Someone hands him a napkin.

Mush texted me saying it was a code 9.

Jack looks at Mush thanks for scarin' her sarcasm dripping from his voice and a chuckle. A few broken bones and cuts never hurt nobody. Ise fine now.

The doctor walks into the room, sorry but visiting hours are over and Jack needs to rest.

Anastasia places her hand softly on Jack's shoulder and looks into his eyes, We will be back tomorrow.

The Newsies begin to leave saying their goodbyes to Jack promising to visit soon.