Chapter 28 | Awkward Situation Part.2

Monday October 26
Location: Eden Hall Cafeteria

Another restless night thinking about Portman and the conversation she had with Fulton. She rubbed her eyes as she walked slowly into the cafeteria looking at the empty Ducks table. She had hoped that the weekend may bring some comfort. But after being kicked out of the newsies and dumped, by Dean, the weekend turn out to be not so comforting. The only light in her life at that moment was the fact that she got to pour her feelings about what had happened to Banks. Looking into those blue eyes and being close to him always covered her in chills.

As she dragged her feet to the junior varsity table she saw that Julie, Portman, and Fulton where already sitting there. She takes a breathe as she inches toward the table through students. Minutes go by as the anticipation of sitting near her ex becomes overwhelming. Taking another shaky breathe she finally reaches the table pulling out a chair.

Hey, Julie says not wanting to make things awkward; and trying to put her best friends mind on something other than her ex.

Anastasia smiles replying back hi as she sits down. She glances at Portman but quickly looks at Fulton. Hey Fulton.

Hi Fulton replies unsure of himself.

Anastasia takes a calm breath. Please God don't let my voice break. She makes the first move. Portman.

Vlanterrin.

Vlanterrin, Vlanterrin played over and over again in her head. He had never called her by her last name nor did it sound so rough from him before. It felt wrong to hear him call her that. She looks at her sandwich trying her hardest to fake a smile not wanting to cry in front of him. It felt like a dull knife had stabbed her in her heart every time her mind said her last name in his voice. As she tried to think about anything else she didn't realize that more Ducks were appearing at the table; or that Varsity had managed to lose direction to their table and now were standing at the foot of the JV table.

Anastasia looks up feeling crowded and comes eye to eye with Portman glaring to the right. What's his problem.... Anastasia turned her neck and locked eyes with not only Varsity but Adam Banks. ...Oohh The sole reason why Portman and her were no longer together was literally standing inches away from them. At the moment she wanted the floor to open up below her and swallow her whole or for her to become invisible. You know whichever was easier than sitting her as Banks looked at her and Dean watched him closely looking ready to snap. Today was not the day to have her ex and Banks in close proximity after telling Dean that she still had feelings for the other. As Banks stood not even two feet away and Dean looked between Anastasia and Adam, Anastasia started to feel uncomfortable. Unfortunately, an unwelcomed distraction started to talk.

You ready for the Varsity-JV dinner on Friday night? Rick Riley, varsity captain, said looking over the team.

The Ducks looked at each other not speaking a word.

Look I know we have been playing pranks on each other but this is a tradition. At Eden Hall we learn to respect tradition. Cole states.

Varsity walks away as Banks lingers near the table looking directly at Anastasia. His voice cracks it's cool.

The first bell rings indicating that lunch is over. Julie and Anastasia slide their chairs from the table.

Why would Varsity invite us for dinner when they clearly don't like us?

Yeah it sounded a bit strange but Banks says it's cool. But has Banks ever lied?

No I guess not but I'm bringing money with me just in case this is another prank.

Anastasia and Julie throw away their lunch.

Okay, I'll do that too.

They begin to walk to the exit of the cafeteria.

Julie looks at Anastasia as they walk through the sounds of lockers closing and people having various conversations.

Hey Julie says to get Ana's attention. Are you still going to the Sadie Hawkins dance? Since you know.

I'm not really sure the only people I'm interested in in this school is Adam and of course Dean, and obviously he's going with Sarah and Dean's not an option. I think I'll stay home. Did you ask Scooter?

Yeah

And you didn't tell me?! Anastasia looks at Julie flabbergasted. Tell me everything!

Well I made the poster and I went to his house.

Mhmm Anastasia says as she waits for the rest of the story.

I wrote on the poster Scooter, you would make me the happiest Duck if you make my goal come true. Will you be my Sadie Hawkins date? And he said yes he would be my date.

Awwe that's so cute, I'm so happy for you Julie. If you need help getting ready I'll help.

Thanks Ana.

As the warning bell rings the girls walk faster to class making it just in time before the final bell rings.