CHAPTER 5

I picked up my phone and tried Damian’s phone number; at first it wasn’t reachable.

“He must be busy, I thought.

I will confess that I haven’t heard from him for days and I wasn’t pleased at all.

The last time I heard his voice was the yesterday, and that was so unlike him. It is strange him not calling to  hear my voice for almost a whole day.

I was scared that something might have happened to him. He left me with some money before he left for his village, but then my brother called and demanded for some pocket money, so I sent the money to him.

30 minutes later, I re tried his number and some lady picked it up.

“This must be the sister, I thought
before speaking with the lady whose voice sounded so young.

She must be a year older than me, or my age mate, I concluded.

I introduced myself to her as Damian’s friend.

"This must be Stella", she said.

It was a surprise how she got to know my name; it is not as if I am Damian’s only female friend if I can recall back.

“Yes I am Stella by name" I told her.

After all the pleasantries and greetings between two of us, I tried to inquire how Damian was and she assured me that he was totally fine.

I was happy that at least he wasn’t sick and that alone made me full.

“He is okay, I said to myself.

"But then how busy can he be that he have not yet called me today", I wondered but I couldn’t ask her.

”is he busy with something" I asked Bella but she didn’t give me a straight and satisfying answer and that made me restless again.

Immediately there was a knock on our gate, olaedo wasn’t around to open the gate.

So my mom stood up and went to the gate. They don’t allow me to go to the gate again for the fear that people might find out about my condition.

They are trying to hide me being pregnant until when they are able to open it up, my dad said.

“Who is that, my dad asked my mom when he noticed that my mom was silent.

“It’s...... my mom said and stopped as if the person told her to be silent.

I didn’t know why I had that feeling but something in my guts told me that Damian was close to me.

My dad followed my mom to the gate and in a short while I also didn’t hear his voice.

I became scared that something might have happened to them. I peeped from the door and saw someone I never expected to see.

Damian was standing in front of our gate; I was shocked to see him in our house.

"I must be hallucinating" I thought and wiped my eyes with my hand.

“Maybe my longing for him is now
trying to turn me into a mental case, I thought.

I bent down and once again rose up; the more I did that the more I still rise up to him standing an inch closer to me.

“Is he really here? I questioned myself as I stood up to confirm that I wasn’t dreaming.

He can’t be here. His  sister just confirmed to me that he was okay….

she said he was okay and not that he was at home, I recalled back.

“Is this really you? I asked Damian

He held his hands up and placed it on my cheek and then used it to brush  my face.

He has a knack for making my ear lobe tinkle me whenever he touches it.

“It really is you, I said happily as I embraced him so tightly.

“I thought you were okay with not seeing nor hearing from me for almost 24 hours, I lamented to him.

As young as I was, I think I knew what being in love truly is; being able to miss someone when they are not around, I define it.

We separated from each other’s tight hold as soon as we heard my dad cough in a slimy way.

“What did you eat today, Damian asked me as soon as he settled down.

I didn’t give him an answer because I didn’t know how to tell him that I have not yet fed his goddess baby today.

He stared right into my eyes in search of the answer.

“Have you eating today at all? He finally asked me.

“Yes I have, I replied but immediately my hungry stomach rumbled.

“Don’t tell me you have been starving yourself, he asked and immediately opened his bag.

He came back with plenty village fruits which he washed and sliced into small pieces.

For two months the governor of our state refused to pay government workers there salaries and my family was affected, because my both parents are government workers.

My mom works in ministry of health while my dad works in ministry of education.