CHAPTER 7

PRESENT DAY, YEAR 2007

Amarachi was more than beautiful. You could mistake her to be the main princess of the marine world. She was as beautiful as the morning sun and as cool as what I could not tell.

Her beauty was what we can only imagine. Everyone confirmed her beautiful, and Damian could not have desired anything more than his two pretty princesses.

Life was the best for my family until two months later. It was time for me to let go off the love of her life. It became hard for me to do that, and so  i became greedy; so greedy that i wished to go with him.

It was then that my parent intercepted. They told me that it doesn’t matter if he is the happiest now.

They claimed that he won’t be happy any much longer if he should miss the golden opportunity to do his masters in one of the prestigious universities in America.

They told me that if he misses it, he will blame me in the future and i won’t be able to laugh again.

My life will become a living hell and probably i will wish to die. They told me that if we are meant for each other, then no separation can stop our affection for each other and no amount of distance will separate them.

It was after the conversation with my parents that i made up her mind to stop being and acting selfish.

1 gave birth to her daughter on the 17th of February, 2007 and the next month i called Damian to have an alone conversation with him.

I proposed that he should accept the admission letter from Harvard University. Damian was bitter and offended.

“Are you tired of me, he asked her, but i said no that he doing that is for the betterment of all of them.

“I am scared that you will get to regret not taking the offer later in future.

I am scared that it will turn out to be a wrong choice for our family if this opportunity should pass us by.

It is rare for Harvard University to pick a Nigerian students to offer an admission to, I told him

“I know that dear but I am not bold to let go off you and my little princess, Damian said

“Even me, I am not happy  sending you off to another country alone, but then it is for a good course.

I am not happy that we won’t be seeing you for a while, but God knows all. Maybe he wants to taste our passion for each other.

Maybe he want to taste our love, to see if our love can shake the many cities and country to pass before reaching harvard.

it is the right choice for us, and as such you have to take it.

“I am not leaving you guys to go to anywhere; this is my home and my happiness is with my girls, Damian said admidst tears.

I was about to tell him to stay with us but then my parents entered the room. My dad was pissed off with the way we were both talking and thinking like children.

He dragged Damian out of the room and gave him a slap. I was sad that he has to receive a slap just for him to listen but he still turned deaf ears. 

I was crying so bitterly trying to loose myself off my mother’s tight hold.

“Take her into the room and put some sense into her skull, my dad shouted at my mom for the first time.

My mom dragged me into the room so that my dad will have enough room to talk to Damian. I don’t know what he told him that made him to finally agree to leave for the city.

Damian left to the airport the next month. He left us with some money and pleaded with my parents to take care of both I and our child.

My dad agreed and made him to know that I am also his child. It was painful to let go off the one that your heart yearns for so I let it out by crying like a child.

That didn’t stop Damian from travelling to oversea. He promised to call us at every chance he get, and he kept to his words. 

We never lacked hearing his voice for the first 5 years that he was there. He finished his master 2 years later, and got a good paying job.

I would have loved for him to come back to us, but that would have been so selfish, so I let him stay.

He always sent us goodies and money, and in one of his visits he brought us a laptop and that was when Amarachi was 3 years old. He stayed with us for a year before he left for work again.

He got work in one of the biggest game companies in UK where he worked as there head programmer.

He told us through Skype that he was developing software which he will launch as soon as he finds an investor and so our whole family started fasting and praying for him to find a good and promising investor who will be there to assist and help him grow his company.

That kind of investor my dad called an angel investor.

He promised to come back to Nigeria as soon as he gets the investor so that we will be in America with him for the launching of the company and software.

I was happy that soon our family will be together again.

After 4 months he called us and announced the good news to us; he said that he got investors but they have not yet signed the contract.

He added that they were still going through his proposal, he told us to pray for him and we did. 

We sent out prayer requests to the church and to our friends. Prayers were made on his head and to the Glory of God he called us and told us that they signed it.

He said that soon he will have everyone with him there. That day was a happy day for us, we laughed, sang and did merry, and of course he spoke with all of us for the whole day.