CHAPTER 16

That very moment I craved for my baby. I called mom and asked how she was faring but was told that the mbaise people came and carried her.

I was so angry; I took a night bus down to Enugu state. I arrived at Enugu state the next day by exactly 7am in the morning.

I got home, only to be told that after I left, Amarachi kept on falling sick. Mom said they tried reaching me but my number was always switched off, and they didn't have enough money.

I ran down to mbaise that same day; I heard Amarachi's voice; she was crying over food. I rushed immediately to pick her, but I recalled back that she can't recognize my face.

So I turned back to walk away, but was shocked by a certain voice I recognized call me

"Mom?" The girl's voice called

I turned and saw my baby girl holding an empty plate. I could tell she was so hungry.

"Mom?" She called again as if contemplating if I was the one or not.
This time she dropped the plate on the floor and was walking towards me.

I couldn't contain the emotion, so I tried running away, but she started calling me loudly and was crying.

I ran and she ran after me, shouting mummy, mummy, mummy. I saw bella hold her, and tried to drag her backwards, but she won't let her.

I could listen to her cry any longer; I had already abandoned her before, and doesn't want to repeat that again.

I walked up to her, and knelt down before her. This time around bella frees her.

She raised up her hand, and touched my cheek with her little hand; the feeling of her small hand on my cheeks reminded me of her dad, and that is what I hated the most.

Whenever she stares at me I can't help but remember her dad.

"Mama, it's mama", she said and hugged me.

I realized that she couldn't recognize my face, so she built my face in her memory. She uses her hand to carve out my portrait.

I love my baby girl alot, much more than she could ever imagine.

She said she wanted to follow me back home, I couldn't say no to a cute 8 years old like her.

As we were going Ebuka told me that Damian called each and every one of them. Hearing his name agitates me the more, so I didn't let him complete his statement.

I carried her out that day; I lodged in a hotel at mbaise that night with my mini me, and we went back to enugu the next day.

The next morning I travelled back to Enugu with my daughter. As soon as we got home I noticed that the gate was closed but not locked.

I looked but no one was inside; I was scared. It happened to be the first time such a thing has happened in my house.

I entered into my room and notice that the place was dark; I swiched on the light, and behold everyone was there.

What scared me the most was the other figure I saw in the room. The figure looked so much like Damian. I had a sudden panic attack; I ran away from the house because I realized that thinking of him made me sick.

Besides his daughter looks and acts like him. I avoided everything and anything that reminds me of that figure.

Mom was shocked, and scared; damian's figure ran immediately and held me; I could hear Amarachi's wailing voice . I continuously hit the figure man's hand to pull it off me, but he won't do as I bid him.

He jacked me up and put me on the bed; then they opened up all the curtains in the room to avoid congestion in the room.

I was still struggling to catch my breath, I looked up and saw him patting my head, and with the other hand he brushed my arm, up and down, them in a circular motion.