CHAPTER 8

The happiness and satisfaction I got from just thinking of how soon I will become Mrs. Damian Okafor was the sole reason for my unending smile throughout the night.

I smiled all night as I thought of how lovely we will look in our wedding outfit.

“Stella, what are you doing now, you are not even sure if the wedding will hold soon, I questioned myself

“Now wipe away such negative thoughts, he already proposed to you long ago, so he can’t suddenly change his mind, I assured myself as I nodded my head back to positivity.

The night went so fast and I prepared everywhere to welcome him.

“anytime sooner from today he will come back; so you have to wipe everywhere clean, I said as I joyfully hum a popular wedding song that goes like this:

When the wedding shall be over,
We are going to there the day
Another day will be our wedding day,
My sister and brother will you be there?

We waited for his call and visit for days, weeks, months, year but we didn’t receive any.

Amarachi kept on asking me about her father and when he will come back but I kept on lying to her that her dad will be back home to us soon.

I always told myself that he might be too busy with his new work, that since he just founded the company, maybe he still needs time to arrange and put it to shape before coming down to Nigeria, and that was what kept on going.

“He did not abandon us, he will come back soon, I always assured myself not because I was gullible or naïve but because I didn’t want to break down as a result of over thing.

I have a child that is under my custody, so falling ill or hurting myself won’t be a good decision for my child at all.

LONDON CITY, Damian's pov

It was never easy; finally to think that my hard work is now paying off humbles me alot.

I recalled back my dad's favorite words " do the right thing, cos no one knows tomorrow".

Those words and Stella's prayers are what kept me going. Each time I wanted to give up, and I recall back stella and my daughter, sudden energy from no where enters me.

It is like her spirit is here with me. I really miss my girls and can't wait to go back to them.

I recalled back the first day I arrived at London; I knew no one over there. I was all on my own for 2 months; then I met kelechi, he is from anambra state.

He too came for his master's, and luckily we became room mates. We became very close; studied together and worked in the same restaurant.

Kelechi loves sophistication, so he couldn't cope working in the restaurant any longer. Each day he complained about the struggles, and how he had though coming to london would mean him getting an easy life.

There was this our school mate, spicy was her name; her father is a judge here in london. She always wanted to be around me, but I feared she liking me; I have my girl.

Kelechi wanted me to date the girl; according to him there isn't a rule that says I must be loyal to my girl.

"Having a fling here and there isn't a problem" he says

When I rejected the girl he flared up, and from that day he stopped talking to me.

I heard later on that him and spicy were dating; infact they were planning to get married.

He sent me an invitation card, and a note that has "THANK YOU" written in bold letters.

In my final year I applied to many software and game development companies both in London and outside london.

I got an employment letter from 4 of the companies I had applied to; two in london, one is a shanghai company based in london, while the other two are based in canada.

I called stella and told her the hood news and she thinks all are good. She suggested I close my eyes and pick one; and I picked the london company.

I had to go back to Nigeria and stayed for a month with my girls. I was waiting for my academic visa to be changed to work visa; that happens to be the only way I can work freely in london.

I wanted to marry Stella immediately, but she suggested we do it when I must have settled fully.

Working was good, though stressfully at all.  A year into my employment at TENTEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPMENT COMPANY, I started developing my own software. Actually I got a one year and half contract to work as an intern in the company.

The company wanted me to use company materials so that It would become company project, but that wasn't what I wanted.