Chapter 23

December 31, 9:30 am.

"Tonight is going to be amazing!" Rose sighed as the two of us sat on a bench looking out at the garden.

"It really is. Carrie won't show me my costume though." I complained as we discussed the New Years party planned for tonight.

Rose laughed, "Mine is gorgeous." She teased. We both laughed but stopped as two pairs to footsteps echoed through the empty hallway.

Rose and I sunk into the small nook and behind a plant.

"I had a really great time tonight, Oliver." A familiar voice said in a flirtatious voice.

"It was my pleasure, Mia." He smiled back. They were holding hands, looking into each others eyes and I felt my heart shatter into million pieces. Mia leaned in, and I knew she would make a fool of herself, wanting to kiss him. But what surprised me the most was Oliver leaning in as well. Closing the distance between them.

"Ariel." Rose whispered, sympathetically. I sniffed my nose, wiping my hot tears away as they streamed down my face. "How could he? I thought he loved me." I whispered to myself.

The kiss lasted a couple minutes and both Oliver and Mia were grinning like idiots in love. Oliver grabbed her hand and walked her to her room.

I bolted up running into my room, locking the door after me. Rose knocked on my door a few times but gave up, realizing I wasn't opening up.

I flopped down on my bed, burying my wet face in my white, silk pillow. At the moment I didn't even care if I got makeup on the clean pillow. I didn't care that we were supposed to be in the women's room in 15 minutes. I didn't care about anything. I just wanted to get rid of the broken feeling in my heart. I knew that Oliver was supposed to go on dates with the other girls, kiss them, but Oliver said he loved me and wanted to marry me. Then he goes and ruins it by kissing another girl. Who knows how many girls he has kissed already.

"Lady Ariel, are you in there?" A voice asked through my door. Probably a maid sent up to get me for the meeting.

"Umm, yes. But I'm sick. I need sleep." I lied, not wanting to face Mia or anyone at that.

"Ok, Lady Ariel. I'll get someone to send up some soup." She said before walking off.

I sobbed into my pillow only getting up to get my food. Since I told her I was sick, my red face and puffy eyes were excused and not questioned. I let the chicken noodle soup cool on my table.

I grabbed it and walked out onto my balcony, looking at the bright sun. It was a little chilly considering it was December almost January. I took small sips of my soup that was cooled off and thought about everything. How a few months ago I didn't even want to be here. Yet here I am, heart broken that Oliver kissed another girl when he said he loved me. He probably has said that to every girl here.

"Ariel, are you ok?" The person who I definitely didn't want to talk to, asked through the door.

"Oliver, go away." I said through my teeth.

"Ariel, what's wrong?" Oliver asked, somehow unlocking my door and walking in. I bolted up and pressed against the balcony rail, not wanting to look at him. "Dear, did I do something?"

"I said go away. I don't want to talk to you or see you. Not now and maybe not ever." I pleaded.

"Ariel." Oliver begged, grabbing my arm and easily turning my around. He saw my red, puffy eyes. "Ariel, please tell me what I did."

"You want to know what you did?" I laughed dryly. "You already know. Next time you want to kiss someone you should check if anyone's around." I spat angerly. Oliver's eyes widened realizing what I meant.