Chapter Two : The Cabin

"Thirteen we have to head out." Eleven says. "Follow me." Eleven walks out the door and into the woods. There is a thin layer of snow covering the ground.

"Can't we just stay in there?" Thirteen asks.

"Well, everyone thinks I'm dead. The bad men, like papa are looking for us. We have to hide in the woods." Eleven says.

"I-Its so cold." Thirteen says.

"I know. I promise it'll get better." Eleven says.

"P-promise?" Thirteen asks.

"It's something that you can't break." Eleven says.

"You said 'friends' too. What are friends?" Thirteen asks.

"A friend is someone that you'd do anything for, friends don't lie." Eleven says.

The two girls are now deep in the woods. They are both shivering. "It'll get better Thirteen, I promise."

________________________________

A few weeks later, the girls are very hungry. They can find a squirrel every few days but that's it.

Eleven and Thirteen are walking through the woods, cold and hungry. They come across a wooden box and they open it.

"E-Eleven? What is this?" Thirteen asks.

"Eggos and food." Eleven says.

"Why?" Thirteen asks. "Who?"

"Wait here and see." Eleven says. The girls wait behind a tree and see a man, hopper look in the box. "Hopper." Eleven says.

"Who?" Thirteen asks.

"Friend." Eleven says. Thirteen remembers what Eleven told her earlier, a friend is someone who you'd do anything for.

After Hopper walks away, the girls follow him to his car and he turns around. He looks confused.

"Why are there two of you?" Hopper asks.

"My friend. From the lab." Eleven says. "Her name is Thirteen."

"Get in the car." Hopper says. Thirteen looks at Eleven. Eleven nods and they get in the backseat.

A few minutes later, they arrive at an old cabin and Hopper talks about how it is used for storage.

"So uh, what do you think? It's a work in progress." Hopper says. "It takes a little imagination but uh once we fix it up it's gonna be nice. Real nice."

Thirteen nods her head. And smiles.

"This is your new home." Hopper says.

"Home." Eleven says.

Hopper starts looking through a box. "Ah alright. This is music." Hopper says. He puts a record on a player and "You don't mess around with Jim" starts playing.

The girls start cleaning. Thirteen hums to the song. A few hours later, the place looks nice and Thirteen has her new favorite song. She still hasn't said a word.

It is about 11:30 at night and Thirteen can't sleep.

"Can't sleep?" Hopper asks. He is laying on the couch, looking at Thirteen.

Thirteen shakes her head no.

"Come try the couch." Hopper says. He gets off and Thirteen lays down on the couch and smiles. "Comfy?" Hopper asks.

"Comfy." Thirteen says. She slowly falls asleep. Hopper smiles at her.

________________________________

A few months later, Eleven and Thirteen are like sisters. Hopper is like a father to them. Eleven has a short, curly haircut and so does Thirteen.

"Hopper?" Thirteen asks. "When can I go to the school?"

Hopper looks at Thirteen with surprise. "School?" Hopper asks. "You don't want to go to school, trust me."

"Yes I do. The bad men won't find me." Thirteen says.

"Thee, how many times have I told you, even though they're dead, they could still find you." Hopper says.

"How?" Thirteen asks. "They're dead. Even if they are alive, they think I'm dead."

Hopper sighs. "You have a point. Wait, where's El?"

"Sleeping." Thirteen says. "So, can I go?"

Going to school has been Thirteen's dream for a few months now.

"You can go next week." Hopper says. Thirteen smiles wide and hugs Hopper.

"Thank you!!" She says. Thirteen is smiling huge.

"The smile looks good on you." Hopper says. "I thought I'd never see it." Hopper chuckles. "I'll answer your questions tonight."

"Ok." Thirteen says. She goes and lays on the couch.

Eleven comes out of the bedroom in a ghost costume. She is talking to Hopper about trick or treating.

"Ok, how about a compromise." Hopper says.

"C-compromise?" Eleven asks.

"C-O-M promise? It's kind of like half happy." Hopper says. "Listen, both of you. I will bring back a bunch of candy and you guys can pick a scary movie and we can just sit on the couch and get fat."

"When?" Eleven asks.

"5:15?" Hopper asks.

"Yes. That will work." Thirteen says.

"Ok, see you girls tonight." Hopper says. "5:15." He leaves.