Chapter Three : The Bike

The girls watch TV and play games all day. They eat some eggos for lunch and soon enough, it is 5:15.

"He is not here." Eleven says. "He is always late."

"He will beep." Thirteen says. "Just wait."

A few minutes later, the machine in the corner beeps. The code says L - A - T - E.

"Late." Eleven says. She sighs in anger and goes to the bedroom. She slams the door.

Thirteen sits on the couch and sighs. She grabs a notepad and adds to her drawing of the lab. Thee finds it as her way of letting go of everything in her past.

Thirteen puts on her favorite song, "You don't mess around with Jim" and she sings along to it.

"You don't tug on Superman's cape, you don't spit into the wind, you don't pull the mask off that old Lone Ranger and you don't mess around with Jim." Thirteen sings.

After the song finishes, Thirteen puts static on the radio and puts on a blindfold. She tries to find Hopper.

She is in the dark, water covers her toes and she sees Hopper, looking in a pumpkin field and marking things down with flags. He looks at his watch and says, "shit!"

Hopper runs inside his truck and gives a kid 20 bucks for some candy. He drives away.

Thirteen takes the blindfold off and sighs. She walks into the bedroom. Eleven and Thirteen share a bunk bed. Thirteen has the top and Eleven has the bottom.

"He lost track of time. He will be here soon." Thirteen says.

"He is always late. He does not care." Eleven says.

"El, you know he cares. He is like the father we never had." Thirteen says.

There is a knock on the door, a secret knock. Hopper says he's sorry for being late and Thirteen lets him in.

"Hey, I'm sorry. I just got caught up in something and-" Hopper gets cut off.

"It is fine." Thirteen says. "El is in her room."

Hopper walks over to Elevens door and tries to get her to come out. He then sits on the couch with Thirteen and they both eat some candy.

Thirteen falls asleep on the couch.

________________________________

The next day, Hopper and Thirteen are awake on the couch and watching TV.

"Thee, about the school thing, I'm not sure if next week is the time." Hopper says.

"Why?" Thirteen asks.

"I have to get you a birth certificate, and a bunch of other legal crap." Hopper says.

Thirteen sighs. "Can I at least like, go out? Do something like a normal teenage girl?"

"I'll think about it." Hopper says. "Let me finish making these Eggo masterpieces." Hopper and Thirteen laugh.

"Thee, I actually have a surprise for you." Hopper says. "Come outside for a minute."

Thirteen follows Hopper outside and there is a dark blue bike with a leather seat on the porch.

"H-Hopper, is this for me?" Thirteen asks.

Hopper smiles and nods his head. "It sure is. You can ride it around between 10am and 4pm. You have to check in with me every hour. Understand?"

"Yes!! Thank you so much!" Thirteen says. She hugs Hopper but quickly pulls away. "Sorry." She says.

"Don't be sorry." Hopper says. He hugs her back. "I like it."