Chapter Five : The Fight

Thirteen gets back to the cabin at 3:45. She sees Hopper just getting home.

"Hey Thee, how was your day?" Hopper asks.

"It was good." Thirteen says.

"What happened to your knee? Are you ok?" Hopper asks.

"I just fell. I am fine though." Thirteen says. "Someone helped me out."

"Who helped you?" Hopper asks.

"Steve." Thirteen says. "Harrington."

Hopper nods. "Let's go inside."

They both walk inside. "El! I'm home!" Thirteen says. There is no response.

Hopper and Thirteen check the whole house. "She's not here." Hopper says. "He was right."

"What?" Thirteen asks.

"Someone saw El earlier and I thought it was a false alarm. Someone saw her!" Hopper says.

Thirteen goes into the bedroom knowing this won't end well. She goes onto the roof from the window and can hear everything.

"Hey hey hey! Don't walk away from me!" Hopper yells. He slams the door. "Where'd you go on your little field trip huh?"

There is more yelling so Thirteen just sits there and listens to it.

"OPEN THIS DOOR!! OPEN THE DAMN DOOR!!" Hopper yells. "YOU WANNA GO OUT IN THE WORLD?!? GROW THE HELL UP!!" He keeps banging on the door.

Then Eleven screams and all of the windows shatter. Thirteen starts crying on the roof. She climbs down and goes to her bike. She rides it away and cries.

The screams were too much. It reminds her of the upside down. Nothing has triggered her flashbacks, nightmares, and panic attacks in a while but this might.

Thirteen rides her bike far. She eventually sits down on the side of the road and cries. She wraps her arms around her knees and it starts to rain, hard. It starts pouring and thunder rumbles and lightning strikes.

She sees a light in the rain, headlights. Someone comes rushing out of the car and it is the boy, Steve.

"Hey, are you ok?" Steve asks. He kneels down next to Thirteen. Thirteen shakes her head no and cries. "Hey, come in my car, I'll take you to my place. Does that sound ok?"

Thirteen nods and Steve helps her into the passenger seat. He loads her bike in the trunk and drives.

"Why were you there? What happened?" Steve asks.

Thirteen just shivers and looks out the window.

"It's ok if you don't want to talk. I understand." Steve says. A few minutes later, he parks the car in the garage. "Come on." Steve says. "I'll get you some dry clothes."

Thirteen follows Steve inside. He takes her to his room and gives her a large t-shirt and a hoodie. He also gives her a pair of pajama pants.

Thirteen goes and gets changed in the bathroom. She comes out and she is super comfy.

"Come downstairs." Steve says. "I'll get you some food." Thirteen nods and follows Steve.

Thirteen sits on the couch and Steve pops some popcorn and sits next to her.

"I have some questions." Steve says.

Thirteen looks at Steve.

"How old are you?" Steve asks.

"17." Thirteen says.

"Cool. Same here." Steve says. "Full name?"

"Thirteen Hopper." Thirteen says. She eats some popcorn.

"Do you want to talk about why you were crying on the side of the road at 8:30 at night?" Steve asks.

"Hopper got in fight with sis." Thirteen says. "Screaming."

"It must've been a bad fight." Steve says. "You can stay here for the night. Some people are coming over in like 10 minutes. They'll only be here for like 15 minutes." Steve says. "So uh, make yourself comfortable I guess."

Thirteen falls asleep on the couch. Her head falls onto Steve's shoulder. Steve smiles.