Chapter Twenty Two : Awake

Steve stays awake all night while holding Thirteens hand.

Thirteen squeezes Steve's hand again and Steve's heartbeat goes faster in excitement.

"Beep. Beep. Beep." The heart monitor goes. It starts to go a few beats faster.

Thirteens eyes slowly open. Steve smiles. "Hey Thee." He says in a calm, gentle voice.

Thee, with her barely open eyes, looks over at Steve. "Steve!" She says. She starts to try to sit up to hug Steve but she isn't strong enough. Thee sits back and she starts to panic.

"Hey hey hey, it's ok." Steve says. He hugs Thirteen and then kisses her cheek.

"W-what happened?" Thirteen says. "I'm confused. My ankle and wrist are better and I'm weak."

"You went into a coma after you passed out in my arms. You've been here for 155 days now." Steve says.

Thirteen looks around. "Who's birthday is it? Is it yours? Did I miss it? Happy Birthday!!!"

Steve laughs. "No Thee, yesterday was your birthday."

Thirteens eyes go wide. "Wait, what? M-my birthday?"

"Yeah. The doctors confirmed that January 13th is indeed your birthday." Steve says. He smiles. "I'm so happy you're awake." Steve gets up and grabs some gifts. "These are yours." He says. "I need to tell a doctor that you're awake and then you can open these." Steve says. He walks out of the room.

Thirteen looks around. A hospital.

*flashback*

"No! She's my daughter!" A woman yells. Thirteens mother.

Dr. Brenner knocks her out and takes Thirteen out the door.

*present*

Thirteen shakes we head at herself. That won't happen again. Papa doesn't even know that Thirteen is alive.

Steve walks back in with a doctor. Not Dr. Brenner. Steve sits down at Thirteens bed.

"The doctor will ask you some questions and will back later tonight." Steve says. He squeezes Thirteens hand.

"Hi Thirteen! I'm doctor Owens." The doc says.

"Hi." Thee says. "You can just call me Thee."

"Okay Thee, I have a few questions and then you can open your birthday presents and eat some of your cookies." Dr. Owens says. He smiles. "Do you remember your birthday?"

"Yes. January 13th." Thirteen says.

"Cool. Its good that you remember." Doctor Owens says. "Do you feel any pain right now?"

"Nope." Thirteen says.

"Are you feeling tired right now?" Owens asks.

"No. I was just asleep for 155 days how could I be tired?" Thirteen asks.

Doctor Owens laughs. "I guess you're right kiddo." He smiles. "What do you remember last?"

Thirteen looks over at Steve. She can't tell anyone about what happened. 

"I know what happened at the mall. I know about all that weird freaky upside down stuff." Owens says. "Trust me."

"How do you know about it?" Thee asks.

"Well, after Dr. Brenner disappeared, I took control of the lab." Owens says.

Thirteen starts to panic and she pulls away from Owens. 

"Hey, I'm not gonna hurt you. I'm not like Brenner." Owens says. "I tried to help the lab, make it better." Owens says. "Please, I'm not gonna hurt you." He gives Thee a kind, trusting smile.

Thee lays back down in the bed comfortably. "I remember fighting the monster. I was stuck in its grasp and then it snapped my ankle and wrist. I blasted it with my powers and it died. It dropped me and then I was laying there on the ground after a big bright light and then Steve was there and then I blacked out." Steve holds Thee's hand.

Doctor Owens nods his head. "You sound like a hero to me." He smiles. "I'll check on you later." Doctor Owens leaves the room.