Chapter Twenty Three : The Note

Thirteen tries using her powers to make sure they still work. She tries to bring the TV remote to her but her powers aren't working. "Shit!" Thirteen yells.

"Hey, They'll come back. I know they will." Steve says.

"Where is everyone else?" Thirteen asks.

"Joyce, El, Jonathan, and Will moved to California." Steve says. "Everyone else is here."

"Where's my dad?" Thirteen asks.

"Hopper is uhhhh." Steve looks at the ground.

"Steve, where's hopper?" Thirteen asks. Steve doesn't answer, he keeps his eyes on the ground. "Steve. Answer me." Thirteen says.

"Your dad, he died in the Russian base." Steve says. He looks at Thirteen with tears in his eyes. "He died saving our town, saving the world."

Thirteen's eyes get glossy. "He-He's dead?" Thirteen asks. Steve just nods his head and pulls Thee in for a tight, long hug. Thirteen starts breaking down into tears and cries into Steve's shoulder. Steve climbs in the bed with Thee and wraps his arms around her. Thirteen continues to cry for minutes, those minutes turn into hours.

Thirteen cries herself to sleep in Steve's arms. Steve plays with her hair and holds her hand. He hates seeing Thee sad.

________________________________________________________________________________

The next morning, Thee wakes up before Steve and she buries her head into his chest. she sniffles, her eyes are bloodshot from crying and they are red and puffy. Hopper was the only father she ever had.

"Good morning Thee." Steve says. "You sleep ok?" Thirteen nods her head.

"I just can't believe he's actually gone." Thirteen says.

"Well, I know a way to cheer you up." Steve says.

"How?" Thirteen asks.

"It might not help a whole lot, but you have a bunch of birthday gifts over here waiting to be opened. Steve says. He gets up and grabs the gifts. "Oooh and what is this?" Steve asks in a funny way. "What? Cookies? That's crazy." Steve says. "I doubt you would want these anyway." Steve says sarcastically.

Thirteen smiles and laughs. Steve smiles at her. "So, which one are we opening first?" Steve asks.

"Surprise me." Thirteen says. She smiles. Steve grabs her a present with rainbow colored wrapping paper.

"This one is from Will." Steve says. Thirteen starts tearing the wrapping paper.

"Woah! A notepad and some pencils!" Thirteen exclaims. Thirteen has never had something given to her, she's never gotten a gift.

Thirteen opens more gifts and she gets some clothes, a walkman music player and a playlist with a bunch of songs on it.

Steve reaches down to a smaller box. "This one is from me." He says. He smiles. It is wrapped in blue and red. Thirteen starts unwrapping it and there is a small jewelry box. Thirteen opens it. Its a blue necklace with a silver "S" charm on it. It matches her bracelet that Steve gave her before she went to help El.

Thirteen smiles and hugs Steve. "Thank you so much Steve. I love you." Thee says.

Steve smiles. "I love you too." He reaches down to grab the last gift. "This one is from your Dad. He gave it to me a few days before he died. He told me, 'Give this to Thee, whenever her birthday is. This will be a risky couple days and I'm not sure I'm gonna make it.'"

Tears fall down Thirteens face and she grabs the gift from Steve. The gift is wrapped in some old brown wrapping paper. Thee takes a deep breath and then tears apart the paper. There is a black box inside and Thirteen opens it.

There is a mixtape with "You don't mess around with Jim" on it. Thirteen smiles and notices that there's a note.

"Dear Thee, if you are reading this, then I'm probably gone. I knew if I kept doing these missions, I'd die sooner than later. I'm writing this note to tell you my last goodbyes, and to tell you the things that I haven't told you.

You and El were the best two daughters that I could ever have. Even if we aren't biologically related, you both brought joy into my life. You took me out of a dark place. I loved the night where you and I sat on the couch together and ate Halloween candy. We screamed and laughed while watching horror movies and funny shows. 

I remember the day that I gave you a bike. I knew that this was a big step forward, but I knew that you could handle it. The day you went missing, I just sat on the couch and did absolutely nothing for the next few weeks. But then it hit me, would you really just want me to sit there and do nothing? No, you'd fight. You'd use your powers and beat some asses.

Basically Thee, I love you. I'm sorry that I had to end our father-daughter time so soon. Whatever challenge comes your way next, I know you'll crush it. You won't say, "Why me?" you'll say, "Try me."

Thirteen bursts into tears and puts her head in her hands. Steve rubs her back. "You okay?" He asks.

Thirteen nods. "Y-yeah."