Chapter 19 - Realization

STANNARD BERWICK (More building on underrated characters! Yay!)

"Stannard Berwick, please come with me," said the general that led my group.

Here I am, in the war and clearing dungeons to kill the mutated mana beasts. I had two teammates, Caria and Darvus. I couldn't handle Darvus thanks to his arrogant personality but luckily Caria was easy to be around.

I was picked on because of my deformed mana core which made it hard to use basically any mana but my special deviance made up for that. I had the unique ability to store a spell inside of a beast core to use for later. I was a dual conjurer of wind and fire. My deformed mana core made it so I couldn't hold the same amount of mana a normal solid orange core could.

Darvus was a really good ax wielder, apparently the style was passed down throughout his family for generations. He was cocky though and lazy but he was strong. He was able to take on people twice his size with a smile on his face. I was envious of his talent, yes.

Caria was headstrong and quite optimistic. Her weapon was an artifact that looked like gauntlets but would cover her entire arms when she imbued mana into them. She was somehow in love with Darvus, it made no sense to me.

"Yes, general?" I asked. I then saw Gideon approach me,"Hello Stannard."

"Hello Gideon," I replied. I met Gideon about a month ago when I was training near one of his lab's. He took a keen interest in my ability. "What is it that you need Professor Gideon?" I questioned.

"I would like you to meet someone," said Gideon. "Who is it?" I questioned.

"You'll see, he's just inside of the tent," said Gideon as he led me into the tent that served as the meeting room for high ranking generals. Once I entered I saw an old elf sitting at the table. "Commander Virion, I have someone I think fits the criteria," said Gideon as he bowed.

I quickly followed suit and bowed. This is Commander Virion? I've read stories about his bravery and cunning from the elf and human war. Despite having the advantage in number's, the humans were easily pushed back. It's said that the entire council looks to him for advice in this war. Why did Gideon want me to meet him of all people?

"Thank you Gideon, you may take your leave now," said Elder Virion as he put down his tea. "Now, what is your name?" He asked me. Answering should've been easy but being in the presence of such a powerful person made it difficult.

"S-Stannard Berwick, Commander," I answered. "I see, Stannard. I would like to ask a favor from you," said Elder virion. What could I possibly do for him? I'm just a soldier.

"I would like it if my granddaughter could join your team," said Elder Virion. "I would be glad to let her join," I replied with my best polite voice. I secretly didn't want it. Since his granddaughter would be the princess she was probably spoiled and arrogant.

"Good. I will ask you one thing, please help her. She's going through a hard time and has been for a while. Whatever you do, do not let her keep to herself. Try and get her to open up, please," said Elder Virion. He was almost begging me.

"With all due respect Commander I don't think my team would be the best option," I said. If the princess was really in such trouble then Darvus would probably be the worst thing to help. Caria could probably help her in some way but Darvus's negativity would outweigh the positives Caria would bring.

The commander raised a brow, "And why not?" I gulped," One of my team members isn't a very kind person, He would probably insult her even despite her being your granddaughter. He's very arrogant and cocky," I explained.

"I see, it's a good thing then. Someone like that might be what she needs," said the commander as he rubbed his chin. "Exactly, that's why she shouldn't joi-. Wait, what did you say?" I asked, utterly confused.