Chapter 37 - An Expected Encounter

A.N Sorry about that everybody. My beta reader got mad at me or posting. If you want to yell at someone, yell at him. 

VIRION ERALITH

"Commander Virion. I bring news," said a guard as he invaded my room. "What is it?" I asked, rubbing my eyes as I struggled to wake up. Sleep became a rare luxury for me, so I get rather annoyed when it's interrupted.

"What is it?" I demanded, releasing a bit of bloodlust as I swung my bathrobe over my shoulders and tied it around my waist. I was still shaken after yesterday. So much so I didn't even talk to anyone except the maids and butlers. I even made menial conversation at the meetings.

Arthur was alive. Alive and out there. He's hiding, and extremely well. With the amount of people I hired to look for him it just didn't make sense. We should've found him. We should've found him to say sorry.

"Lance Aya has returned injured but with the news of a defeated Retainer," he answered with a bow. His lengthy mustache was beginning to annoy me for no reason at all. Wait... what did he say?

"Could you repeat yourself? I don't believe I've heard you correctly," I said groggily.

"Lance Aya has defeated a Retainer. She wishes to speak to you and only you," the guard answered. One of the many heavy feelings I've had since this war has started lifted and I felt relieved, if only that little bit.

"Where is she now?" I demanded as I flushed out all the fatigue in my voice. I was now fully awake. "The infirmary. She isn't fatally injured and neither in critical condition. However she did however still get hurt," he answered. I quickly ran out of my room uncaring for my appearance. No one would dare complain to me anyways.

I arrived at the infirmary quickly and all the emitters were running around as if they just received someone on their deathbed. Had I not heard of Aya's condition from the guard I might've freaked out myself. "Calm down!" I yelled letting some bloodlust out. Everyone froze and turned to me. The emitters stopped running and the doctors dropped their pencils. The reason for their freak out is probably due to a Lance being hurt.

"All of you are forbidden from talking about what happened today. One of you bring me to Lance Aya," I instructed. The head emitter walked up to me and bowed. "Please follow me, Elder Virion." I followed him through the halls of the infirmary. People's eyes were almost shaking in fear as they likely imagined what could've done that to a Lance.

The tension was almost tangible. I felt like I could reach out and grab a handful of it. "Here we are," the emitter said, breaking me out of my thoughts.

He opened the door to reveal Aya on a bed with bandages all over her. Her expression wasn't pained as she slept silently. Suddenly the smell of rotting flesh invaded my nostrils. I spun around to the head emitter. My eyes widened in shock and concern as my primal reaction was to pinch my nose to stop the smell. "Don't worry Commander. The Retainer she was fighting seemed to have acidic magic which caused some flesh to rot. However, we cut it off then healed her. The smell should disappear after she is washed."

"Very well, I can handle the smell. Please leave us alone. I'll wake her up," I said as I walked up to the Lance who serves my children and will soon serve my granddaughter. "Lance, Aya, are you awake?" I questioned. She showed no response as her breathing remained rhythmic.

I slowly shook her awake, unwilling to cause her any more pain than she has already experienced. "Ughhh, Alea... where are you... come back..."

I felt my insides twist and turn as I remembered Alea. Just before the attack on Xyrus academy she disappeared. Aya and Alea were close, siblings almost. I felt guilty because I blamed myself after sending her into that dungeon.