Chapter 39 - Two goals

So, I didn't like the Virion encounter and neither did you guys, so here's the new one.

And don't worry, today's chapter will come out later

GREY VRITRA

I stepped through the portal and was instantly berated by old air and the smell of a dusty old cave which I grew familiar with when dungeoning. All around me I saw Alacryans who were doing their duties. They all turned to me and the others. Suddenly one of the fancy dressing Alacryan's who came through the portal raised his voice.

"All greet, Scythe Grey Vritra and his Retainer, Caera!" he yelled. Instantly, everyone, regardless of rank, got on their knees. "Rise, I'm here to work. Not here to be respected. All of you return to your posts," I said in my coldest voice possible. If they were to respect me then I have to act powerful.

Thankfully no one wanted to disagree and instantly got back to work. I turned to the one who announced our arrival. "I wasn't informed of where we are right now," I said.

"Ah yes! We are currently in Darv. We sent soldiers to the town of Slore as well as Retainer Jagrette. They are yet to return," he explained.

"Hmmm, I'll go look for them. Dicathen's forces are not to be underestimated," I lied. I actually had no way to judge Dicathen forces but the lances are sure to be at least as strong as a Scythe.

"Very well, they went South-West. It would normally take some time but for a Scythe such as yourself it shouldn't take any time at all," he replied. I turned to Caera, Seth, and Mayla. "Go ahead, we couldn't keep up even if we wanted to," Mayla waved her hand.

"I'll come with you. I have a bad feeling about this," Caera interrupted. "No, I can do it myself. You guys go to the wall where you're stationed," I answered. In reality I didn't want them to go anywhere dangerous. Dicathen must've sent a Lance at least so I have to be prepared.

"Let me come with you. I don't think you should go alone," Caera interrupted, reaching out and grabbing onto my arm, her ruby red eyes reading me as if I'm a book, as if she knew I would find something terrible where I was going. Brushing her hand off my arm I gave her a weak smile. "I promise you I will be fine. We both have our duties to fulfill, so you should head to the Wall where you are stationed."

Caera gave me a small nod before turning around as Seth and Mayla followed behind her as they prepared to go to their station at the heart of the war.

Letting out a small sigh I turned around and started to leave the cave. Looking down at my hands I could see them shaking, it wasn't out of the cold but something else. It was as if a snake was slowly wrapping is body around my stomach and squeezing it

I quickly ran out of the cave and noticed the cave become smaller. I internally cursed the dwarves and enhanced my aether to punch through the end of the cave. I instantly saw the outside and was attacked by the cold air. I stepped outside into the snow, feeling it crack under my feet. I didn't feel the cold thanks to my aether assimilated body.

I ran south west through the many trees and other environmental hazards. 'What are the chances we find something interesting?' Regis butted in. 'Low, but who knows,' I answered.

VIRION ERALITH

"Arthur?" I struggled to stop myself from hyperventilating. The boy I've known for so long just ignored me as he walked towards the retainers body.

"Stand down!" Aya yelled, holding her sword towards him. This wasn't like Aya. She'd simply charge her opponent, not wait. Which only meant she felt something I hadn't.

"Jagrette huh? It's a good thing you killed her," Arthur still ignored us and just inspected the body. Suddenly a purple flame emerged from his hand and ate away at the body. I watched as it slowly turned the corpse into nothing, not even leaving behind ash. But I couldn't sense a shred of mana being used. Only two horns remained. As if he wanted them not to burn.