Chapter 51 - A new stage

VIRION ERALITH

The unpleasant sensation of the teleport portal finally wore off. I was here in Etistin to oversee the defense here. If Arthur was still with us, I would've had him here running the show. I sighed, my voice aged beyond even what I thought was possible.

I looked out to the small part of the town I could see. Soldiers were basically everywhere. "Commander Virion, General Bairon is waiting for you in the castle." a soldier said. I sighed again.

I haven't spoken to my family in ages beyond the meetings. A mix of Auldin being outraged at my refusal to support his argument when the elves were attacked and my own unwillingness to share. What bothered me the most was that Grey targeted her. She didn't seem bothered by it at all, but I struggled to gather up the courage to talk to her.

How pathetic am I that I can't even speak to my own granddaughter? And I'm supposed to be running this war.

"Will you be guiding me?" I asked. It's been a while since I was here, but it's changed considerably.

"Actually, that'll be me," a somewhat familiar voice said from nearby.

I turned around and saw Prince Curtis riding atop his World Lion bond. "It's nice to see you again Prince Curtis," I gave him a slight nod.

"I'd thought that you would prefer at least a somewhat familiar face. I doubt you've been here before Commander." Prince Curtis said seriously. "But if you have, I can assure you that you won't recognize it." I appreciate the sentiment. Even though I barely know him, we both shoulder the same guilt.

"You're incorrect in assuming I've never been here before. It doesn't look anything like I remember though," I took in the sights of the strange city.

If I was asked to describe it in one word, it would be fortress. Shops were turned into workplaces for armorers, blacksmiths, herbalists, fletchers, leather workers and all kinds of trades. The city plaza was filled with tents that housed dozens of soldiers and a couple of groups of mages. Not a single person was idle, constantly moving and working, in wait for the battle.

Soldiers even practiced their marching and group tactics while alleys were turned into shooting ranges for the archers. I knew all of this from reports, but seeing it in person was something else.

Suddenly someone bumped into my shoulder. "Oh! I'm sorry!" she cried, turning to me.

She was young, Grey's age. Dark navy hair and crimson eyes. She had a hooded robe on, but didn't wear the hood. Letting it dangle and covering her whole body. "I just got here so I'm pretty unfamiliar."

"Don't worry. We've got tons of adventures joining to help so I understand where you're coming from," Prince Curtis began. "If it helps, there's still an inn vacant south of here."

"Thanks," The girl waved before running in the direction Prince Curtis mentioned. Once she was gone, Curtis turned back to me.

"A lot to take in, right? The whole city was turned into a stronghold and production center for the battle. Our goal is to keep the main battle away from the city and on the coast." Prince Curtis explained, his tone was flat. I looked around myself, but the majority of my line of sight was blocked by the fur giant that is Grawder.

I continued getting a tour from Prince Curtis. Every once in a while someone would recognize me, and I would respond in kind. Those that did want to approach me were either driven away by a simple wave or Grawder growing at them.

"I was expecting a more... serious atmosphere." I expressed. On more than one occasion, I saw a platoon or group joking around.

"We're still a few miles away from the planned battlefield. If it does go wrong, we've dug dozens of underground tunnels that the civilians can use to escape," Curtis explained.