Chapter 56 - Old faces in new places

A.N Well, hi. It's been too long. You may want to know why I haven't updated in a few months. Well I'll tell you. I really disliked Vol 10. Turtle switched the POV's too much and delayed the story just because he could. Arthur didn't even advance the plot, most of it was left to side characters. Which could have worked, if he did it well. Because of that I lost a ton of motivation. Vol 11 is getting better. I really like it so far, hence why my motivation is coming back. 

Oh. And to everyone who came back after this, thank you. Thank you for waiting for me. I'll deliver this story. As an avid reader myself, there is nothing worse than a half finished book. 

GREY VRITRA

"Sylvie."

She turned to me. It was the first time I've actually got a good look at her. I still remember the day I first laid eyes on her. She was small, tiny really. A little black dragon with more innocence than I thought possible.

But instead of the small black dragon, or even the white fox, here stood a little girl no older than 10. Small in satire but held herself high. Short blonde hair and piercing golden eyes. She had a small black dress that reflected the dim light of the hallway. Upon a closer look, it seemed to be made entirely of scales. Knowing the dragons, it probably was.

I ran to her after talking to Ellie. She hadn't gone anywhere and only paced around the castle. She had evacuated everyone, knowing that Alacrya would come for the castle in due time. Currently, the only people in the castle are Ellie, her friends, Sylvie and I.

"What is it Grey?" she spat. It was just four words but they hit harder than anything I've never experienced. I struggled to form words. Even in all the years I spent in Alacrya I hadn't thought of how to apologize to Sylvie.

It wasn't that I could never come up with. I strayed away from it in my thoughts. I was afraid. So instead I stayed silent. I wanted to advert my eyes. I really did. I simply stared at Sylvie.

"I was afraid." she started. Sylvie's tone was emotionless. "The person who raised me, hatched my egg even, had severed my bond. You probably don't know what it was like for me but it was terrifying. You were my everything. I relied on your thoughts and feelings to grow. My second half." By the time she was done tears were rolling down her eyes.

"Sylv," I reached out for her shoulder to comfort her.

"Until one day that was gone. The person I trusted the most, my OWN FATHER, abandoned me. " She screamed. Tears were now rolling down her eyes.

"Had Tessia not bonded with me again, I might've broken. I was too young to understand. You left for no reason. Then Windsom came. He brought me to Epheotus, to my grandfather. I had to fight tooth and nail to get back here. Only to find that the two people I cared about the most now hate each other," by the time she was done, tears were stained onto her skin.

My mouth ran dry. Not a single thing I could say would help. I fell to my knees and said the one thing I should. The one thing I could.

"I'm sorry."

Tears began to fall down my face. I loved Sylvie, as my own daughter. I thought she'd have a better life without me. That Tessia, for all her hatred towards me would be strong enough to push past that and care for Sylvie. She did, but that didn't heal the wound I left in her heart.

"And I forgive you."

I looked up, my vision blurry through my own tears. For a moment. A single moment, much longer than it had any right to be, I thought things would get better. That was shattered by what she said.