Chapter 53 - A deal with fire

CAERA DENOIR

I stood back behind the legion of soldiers. Thousands stood their ground as our ships passed over our horizon. I saw greenhorns hold their spears tight in their hands, barely even holding a somewhat useful stance. The few mages that were there stood at the front, ready to charge under the guard of the Lances.

Archers had their bows drawn, either from preparation or paranoia. The shops meant for preparing soldiers were all closed— their shopkeepers either fleeing or joining the effort. Tents were still pitched. It would take precious time away from preparations to take them down.

I was betting on the fact the Lances were taking turns fighting because I doubt they could afford having both their Lances weak when a new threat appears. That threat being me.

Speaking of Lances... Their two human Lances were on top of a hill overlooking the battlefield.

Well, they would've had the weather itself not denied them that privilege. Rain fell and pelted my head, dripping down my back. It was consistent enough to be annoying but light enough not to soak my hair.

The whole bay was also coated in a thick fog that worked against each side. But more so the Dicathens than the Alacryan's. Sentry's aide a ton in battles. From reading even the smallest mana signatures to short distance telepathy for quick and easy communication, their usefulness was unrivaled.

At least under normal circumstances. Most of the 'soldiers' on the ships were prisoners. Any normal organized assault the Dicathens were planning for wasn't going to happen. But there was one problem.

If they survived, they were promised freedom. Meaning that they don't have anything to lose, a terrifying opponent.

It wasn't long before the ominous sound of boats scraping against the ice was heard. It was horrible. Not what it meant, but I just hated the sound.

The ice Lance– didn't bother to remember her name– raised her sword towards the fog ridden bay. She unleashed a guttural roar out to the bay, holding her sword outwards.

"Charge!"

The quiet tension so thick you could cut it disappeared in an instant. Instead, the tense air vanished in the rubbing roar of the army. Adrenaline rushed through their veins, charging forwards into their prey.

I also used the chaos to my advantage. Rushing in with the troops, I hid in the fog away from the Lances.

Instead of charging into the frey like the soldiers, I moved around the side. A few Alacryan soldiers tried to attack me, either out of desperation or loyalty, but I shrugged them off with a little boost spell.

Soon, a device created by Nico started to beep. I stopped moving and walked westward. The beeping slowed down so I walked a bit eastwards, which the device responded by beeping even louder.

With a smirk on my face, I ran east while the device beeped faster and faster. It wasn't long until I heard another beeping.

"Caera!" Enola screamed, running up and hooking her arms around my neck. I hugged her back, lifting her up a bit.

"I hate being the party pooper, but I think we should get out of here as soon as possible," Valen expressed. But even he wasn't able to hide his smile.

"Come, there's a spot just south-east of here that the Dicathens haven't fortified," I put Enola down, pointing to the direction I came. I wouldn't have to deal with this had their parents not forced them to take the ships to delay their arrival.

"You won't be going anywhere, Scythe."

A middle aged man landed just out of sight, blocked by the fog. I recognized the voice as the one from last week, the one who first flew to my location.