Chapter 36 -The first Step

A.N you know what I love? Cliffhangers. So, with the help of my beta reader, I've prepared you one of my best cliffhangers yet! It'll be so so much fun! (for me)

A.N 2.0 Also, this chapter is a special chapter for 100k! In case you're wondering what the special part is, read to the end of the chapter.

VIRION ERALITH

"We have sent Aya to help in Slore against the impending Alacryan invasion. She'll be able to take on any threat that comes her way," Priscilla stated, putting down a copy of papers that have been plaguing us ever since this dreaded war started.

At least compared to the soldiers who are fighting for their lives and the livelihood of our home, sitting in this room listening to the countless hours of political talk is easy. At least they're not burdened with the ever looming dread that all of their lives rest in your hands.

"Good idea. If the other continent has anything that can defeat a Lance, we've already lost this war," said Blaine confidently. I internally sighed at the human king's bold statement. We're already struggling to face off against the normal soldiers, what will happen if we encounter a Scythe?

"Do not believe we are winning this war easily Blaine. We are just barely managing to hold them off. From what we've gathered already from the reports, they already have a much larger amount of mages," I answered. Blaine just scowled at my statement.

The air in the room grew tense as everyone sat in silence. I'm sure, just as I wanted to, everyone wished for the war to end. Auldin and his wife had dark rings around their eyes as did I. The smell of fresh ink only was all too prominent as we constantly used it to sign orders which sent innocent people to their deaths.

The tension was broken by a knock on the giant door. "Come in!" I yelled. I crossed my arms as I desperately waited for this meeting -one of hundreds -to end. This interruption was slowly eating away at my patience.

A guard slowly opened the door. He was a veteran with a scar across his face, but the air of being in the presence of royalty with the task of delivering news -good or bad- made even him break out in a cold sweat.

"Elder Buhnd wishes to see Commander Virion," he announced. I smiled and internally thanked my old friend for bailing me out of this meeting-even if it was going to end soon.

"I'll be there soon. If he sought it was important enough to drag me out of a meeting, it must be very important," I said as I quickly dipped out of the meeting hall. I looked at the guard and was about to ask him where I should go when he responded before I could say anything. "Commander Virion, let me lead you there," he offered. If I had to guess, based off of the other guards expression, walking around was something they looked forward to.

I followed the guard through the empty halls. We walked through the halls of endless doors and soon stopped in front of one. If I remember correctly, it was one of the few 'casual' rooms in the castle that hasn't been claimed by royalty. The guard was about to knock on the door when I grabbed his wrist and stopped him. "Let me, you should go back to your post," I commanded with a kind and non threatening tone. The guard quickly wiped the surprised expression from his face and began to walk back.

I knocked on the door and opened it before even waiting for an answer. There I saw Buhnd sitting on a couch with an unintelligible look on his face. "What's the matter old friend? I doubt you pulled me out of a meeting for something small," I asked as I sat down across from him.

"You don't look so good. You should try to get some more sleep," he answered. "You know I can't. But enough of that, tell me what's wrong," I sighed. As much as arguing with my old friend was fun, now was not the time to do it.