Like A Baby Cactus

"Memories warm you up from the inside. But they also tear you apart."

― Haruki Murakami,

Harry grinned absentmindedly, his fingers gliding over the shiny scales of Manasha. His eyes were closed, and he was patiently waiting for the train to reach its destination, leaning his body against the toilet wall. Whilst the Ice Prince of Slytherin was irritated, he still doubted that the golden boy could slip right under people's noses.

Every time the blond asked about how in the bloody hell, they were going to hide him, Harry just grinned or smirked, making the Malfoy heir almost pout... almost.

No, Draco didn't pout. Malfoys don't pout.

Thank you very much.

Harry opened his eyes and yawned, casting a quick tempus that showed only nine minutes remained before they would reach King's Cross station.

Harry was nervous, still unsure about what to expect from the senior Malfoy. Draco's explanation somehow made sense to him, and Manasha didn't threaten to cut the Slytherin's intestines to make soup, so he presumed Malfoy was telling the truth, as Manasha had told him that she could sense emotions, and his instincts too were telling him to trust the blond and each and every cell of his body was making his mind just believe in the snake...

'I have gone bonkers; it's final-'

"I can alwayssss bite him, you know," Manasha added helpfully, sensing her hatchling's nerves.

"Manasssha-" he warned-hissed, rolling his eyes at the mother hen of a snake.

'It is cute but a tad smothering, and if she bit Draco, then no- blast-- fuck-'

"What!" Draco screeched, startled at the sudden hisses, and Harry had to bite his lip to stop himself from chuckling.

"Nothing, Malfoy, just telling Manasha that wouldn't be fair to mar your pretty face she nibbled your eyeballs off,"" Harry casually shrugged, making Draco cough.

He heard Manasha snicker-hiss, and his eyes went wide in the realisation that the snake could understand English too, and he had just called Malfoy 'Pretty'.

'Oh Shite!'

'Fuck he is pretty but—I can't say that—blokes don't just call each other pretty, do they?'

'And of course... Of course, the snake can understand English. Now I can't even vent about her majesty- '

Harry rolled his eyes at the snake and observed as the Slytherin's cheek took on a fascinating shade of light crimson...

'Very Pretty indeed-'

Harry wondered why it hadn't occurred to him to tease Malfoy before this, as it was clearly much more enjoyable than fighting...

'Merlin's balls, he is fucking adorable- I- fuck- what! I-'

'He is a son of death eater you freak, how dare you---'

'Oh, no-'

The shouting voices in his head, which had blissfully subsided for nearly two hours, were returning once again, causing Harry's head to throb, and the temptation to bang his head against something until it split open was almost overwhelming...

He closed his eyes, sighed again, and rubbed his forehead, recalling the mysterious lady in his dream, or whatever that was when he was knocked out... The moment the woman's lips touched his forehead, and before the burning sensation started, he felt some information—some vital information—surge into his brain, overwhelming his senses...