Opposite sides of a coin

A/N- Short (than the regular) chapter which contains many references from the cannon-  

"Loving him is a sin; of that, I'm fully aware. But a sinner I am."

Bella Jewel

Draco had been left to browse through Madam Malkin's at his leisure while his parents shopped for his school supplies. Suddenly, he was overcome by an unfamiliar emotion, causing him to glance around in search of its source.

Meanwhile, Madam Malkin crouched down, smiling, and beckoned him over, saying, "Young Master Malfoy." She greeted him warmly and then gestured towards a little boy who appeared to be around eight years old, "Come, dear, you can come to the back with us, and we can see about measuring you as well."

"Hogwarts, dear?..." Madam Malkin asked the boy and Draco blinked in slight surprise that the small boy was not young as thought him to be, he eyed him observing the small boy...

The boy nodded, shifting nervously.

Draco noticed fear and uncertainty in the boy's eyes, which oddly matched the shade of his favorite emerald shirt hidden beneath his robes. 'What could be troubling him so much?' Draco wondered. This was Diagon Alley, not Knockturn, and the war had been over for nearly ten years. Still, he couldn't shake the feeling of wanting to protect the young boy—who was he?

As if sensing Draco's gaze, the boy looked up, and Draco caught his breath when he saw brilliant emerald green eyes staring back at him through those rather unfortunate glasses fixed with sellotape.

Draco wanted to ask the boy if he was alright, if there was anything he could do to help. But then he realized that he was being observed...

He slowly looked up to find Madam Malkin scrutinizing the entire interaction like a hawk.

His father had warned him about her gossip-prone nature.

A Malfoy couldn't just show pity, a Malfoy couldn't offer assistance without the other person proving their worth.

Maintaining a façade came naturally to a true Malfoy, so Draco put on his signature smirk, scrunching his nose and holding his head high he started-

~~~

Two sides of the same coin, so close yet never able to touch each other...

"I can tell the wrong sort myself-"

Oh, how much he envied! Oh, how much he longed to be with him-

~~~

He encountered the boy again in Diagon Alley, his heart palpitating, but a strange constriction held him back, making his head spin. Then a little red-haired girl appeared next to Potter, glaring at him... He felt an odd sensation... He wanted to lash out... He felt like slapping that girl... His emotions were in turmoil... His thoughts were a mess... He put on a sneer and spat.

"You've got yourself a girlfriend, Potter-"

~~~

Draco watched in fascination as the boy hissed at the cobra he had conjured and managed to calm it down. However, his expression turned into a frown when he noticed that every single person around them was looking at the small boy with horror.