Thrills of Hope

"I'm a chess piece. A pawn,' she said. 'I can be sacrificed, but I cannot be captured. To be captured would be the end of the game."

Paolo Bacigalupi,

"Welcome to Diagon Alley, 'Arry!"

Those were the words that had finally given Harry the courage to hope... to hope for freedom, to escape from the abusive home where he had spent eleven years...

{YOU BLOODY FREAK, YOU DESERVED IT, THEY'RE NOT ABUSIVE, YOU UNGRATEFUL LITTLE SOD, THEY'VE GIVEN YOU CLOTHES, SHELTER, AND FOOD, EVEN TO A FREAK LIKE YOU-}

Harry had always used to wish his parents would return to him... To save him, he used to repeat phrases like a mantra in his head: "One day, I will be free. Survive until then', fighting continuously, contradicting the voices screaming at him that he deserved to be beaten, deserved to be starved; he hated that his parents got drunk and abandoned him alone in this world; he hated that they had left him with such monsters...

~~~

"Hogwarts, dear?"

"Yes, ma'am." he meekly replied, and Madam Malkin smiled at his tone, mistaking his nerves for politeness, and she led him over to a stage of mirrors, where an assistant pulled out a measuring tape and got to work while she wandered off and started sifting through racks of black material... The lack of niceties was kind of refreshing after so many conversations with salespeople today, but Harry's attention was on the prettiest person he had ever seen in his life, with elegant robes, polished boots, and platinum blond hair slicked back with perfection; that boy's whole demeanour screamed 'angel' to Harry, but the most enchanting thing about him was the eyes... eyes, stone grey and glowing almost silver, staring at him with a calculating gaze...

Harry shifted nervously, fiddling with his overly large jumper and feeling highly out of place. Not knowing what to say, he just watched in amazement as the boy's facial expressions changed and a smirk settled on his pale face....

Then, Harry's hopes of befriending the boy were shattered. The boy acted like such a snob, and yet Harry couldn't fathom why a fire seemed to ignite in his chest when the boy praised 'Slytherin'...

" ' ere's not a single witch or wizard who went bad who wasn't in Slytherin' "Hagrid's words kept echoing in his head; the sensation was so painful that he thought his head was on the verge of splitting...

His brain then had supplied maybe... just maybe the pompous attitude of the boy was the same as Harry was attempting to stretch his wings from his relatives— only that boy was just trying to impress a potential new friend... He acted tough, but one could clearly see the boy was acting to make a good show; the boy was just trying to be friendly... and was just very, very bad at it...

Like a bratty baby cactus-

{NO, HE IS GOING TO BE A SLYTHERIN! VOLDEMORT KILLED YOUR PARENTS WHO WAS IN SLYTHERIN! YOU ARE A BLOODY UNGRATEFUL FREAK! YOUR PARENTS DIED TO PROTECT THE WIZARDING WORLD! AND YOU ARE THINKING OF BEFRIENDING A SLYTHERIN! HE IS JUST LIKE DUDLEY WHO SHOWS OFF AND BULLIES CHILDREN}

~~~

'I'm actually going... This is really happening...'

Harry couldn't believe his luck that he was actually getting free from the hell hole Dumbledore dropped him in...

{DUMBLEDORE IS A GREAT WIZARD! HAGRID TOLD YOU THIS MANY TIMES, YOU FREAK! HE SENT HAGRID TO GET YOU FREE FROM YOUR RELATIVES!}