Chapter Ten

After numerous tests, we still had no idea what I was.

"I don't understand, you said she wasn't human," Peter said.

"She's not. The kanima venom would've paralyzed her if she was. I have... one more test." Deaton walked to the back room and returned with a bottle of clear liquid.

"Holy oil. When lit on fire, an angel cannot escape a circle of holy fire without suffering immense pain."

"Angels," Peter gave him a skeptical look. Deaton rolled his eyes and Peter held up his hands in defeat. Deaton poured a large ring around me and picked up a lighter. He lit the ring and said, "now step forward and cross the circle."

I stepped forward and instantly felt a searing pain in my leg and shoulder blades. I fell to the floor, yelling out in agony. My shoulder blades felt as though they were being ripped apart.

Then, suddenly, the pain stopped. I sighed in relief and looked up at Peter and Deaton. They were staring at something behind me in amazement. I turned to see two huge, pitch-black wings sprouting from my back. I touched one in awe and it twitched away from the touch. I found that I could move them as though they were an arm or a leg. I spread them out before curving one in front on my chest. I stroked an inky-black feather and noted how soft it was.

I stood and looked at Peter. Deaton poured water on the flames and Peter stepped towards me.

"May I?" I nodded my head and he reached out to stroke a feather. The touch felt electric and I let out an involuntary groan. He tangle his fingers into the silky mass of feathers and smirked as my head rolled back and my back arched. Peter kissed the base of my wings and they spread out, my breathing and heartbeat speeding up. Deaton cleared his throat and Peter backed away and walked in front of me.

"Lilly, how do you feel?" Deaton asked.

"Amazing. Powerful," I replied. I felt as though I could conquer the world, take on anything and anyone. I looked to Peter, a smirk on my face.

"Lilly, your eyes," Peter whispered.

"What about them?"

"They're white." Deaton handed me a mirror and I saw that they were glowing pure white.