Chapter 13

Trigger Warning: Mentions of self harm and drug use

After we left, Peter drove me to my house. I hadn't been there since before the accident. He walked me to my room and watched as I fell backwards and flopped onto my bed. He walked next to me and kissed my forehead before moving to leave. I caught his hand and pulled him back next to me.

"Stay," I whispered, my heart racing.

"You want me to... stay?" He said, but behind his calm and collected mask, I heard surprise in his voice.

"Of course I do. I-I mean you don't have to if you don't want to but-" I was cut off by his lips connecting with mine. He broke away with a smile and took off his shirt before laying in my bed next to me. He pulled me close to him and I lay my head on his chest, listening to his heartbeat.

"Lilly, do you know about the Hale House fire?"

"Yah, why?"

"I was in that fire. I was there as my family burned alive. I can still feel the flames against my skin. That fire left me in a coma for six years. Those six years of loneliness drove me completely insane. Literally. I put up walls and swore that I would never make the mistake of letting anyone break them down. That I would never let anyone see what is inside my head. If you... If you stay with me, you will see what's inside. You won't like what's inside, Lilly. It seems that you've already broken down my walls. I'm letting you inside."

"You don't have to worry, Peter. I'm letting you inside as well. After my last relationship, I... I did some bad things. Developed some bad habits. I haven't let anyone inside since then. I'm letting you in, too." Peter picked up the arm that was laying on his bare chest and rose it to his face. He observed the straight scars on my wrist and track marks up my arm. He gave me a sad look before kissing kissing my wrist.

"Please don't. You're so beautiful. I care about you so much. More than I've ever cared about anyone," he said before pulling me tighter against him.

"Do you hear my heartbeat?"

"Yes."

"It beats for you," he whispered.

"I love you, Peter."

"I love you, too, Lilly." I closed my eyes, breathing in his scent, letting his heartbeat lull me to sleep.