Chapter 19

WARNING: Heavy subjects ahead, mentions of suicide in a dream

My mom and I walked to Peter's car in a comfortable silence. Peter gave me a soft, loving smile when he spotted me. I smiled back and embraced him when I got closer. He kissed my neck lightly and I melted into his arms. I felt so tired after the day that I almost fell asleep in his arms. His heartbeat, scent, and warmth made me feel so at home. We stood this way for a few minutes before I remembered that my mom was behind me and we broke away. He kissed my forehead and I whispered an 'I love you' before we got in the car. Peter and I sat in the front seat, holding hands and my mom laid down in the back, holding her head. I plugged in my phone and turned it to the slowest, quietest song I had and sang along.

I need you in my life
Or I'm not alright
So don't walk away
I won't be okay if you do
I just don't wanna lose you

A tear slipped down my cheek at the thought of losing my mom or Peter. He must have sensed my silent crying because he squeezed my hand and started rubbing my thumb with his. The tears made my eyes burn and Peter's touch was so soothing that I drifted off.

"Mom?" I called out into the darkness. I heard footsteps approaching me and I called out again. "Mom?" "No one will hear you," a haunting voice replied behind me. "Deucalion? Show yourself!" I yelled into the abyss. I heard the disembodied voice chuckle next to me and a hand stroked my wing. My wing? Why were my wings out? The touch felt electric. "Peter?" I whispered. "No one will save you now," he taunted, "You're all alone. There is nothing left for you to live for." A pair of bright red eyes shown through the darkness, and then the room was filled with red light. I saw a table in front of me, a needle and a gun sitting on top and Peter standing behind it. "Pick your poison," the voice sang. It was as if the gun and my temple were two magnets of opposite attractions. My finger was on the trigger and the voice yelled "Do it!" as I pulled.

I awoke with a yell and Peter was by my side. Tears streamed down my face as I noted that I was on Peter's couch. I clutched his shirt and pulled him as close as our position allowed, crying into his shoulder.

"Shh, it's okay, my love, it's over now," he whispered. My tears slowly stopped and I started to fall back asleep. When I let go of Peter's shirt, he moved away but I grabbed his arm, my eyes still closed, and whispered a quiet 'stay'. He picked me up bridal style and laid down with me on top of him. I snuggled into his chest and quickly drifted away.