Back from the dead - Part 1 - Essen x Jim x Reader

It's been a little while since I did anything for Jim, but I had this idea and thought it would work for our lovely detective. Now, this part is all Sarah Essen, but after this it will be Jim and bits of Harvey. Hope you enjoy.

Essen made her way into the precinct, the captain ready for another long day trying to deal with the chaos of the sprawling city. To hold together the multitude of attitudes from the detectives and cops that worked under her. Her weary morning 'haven't had my coffee yet' smile turning into a frown as she made her way over to the desk. The night sergeant looking between her and her office. A strange look gracing his features. A look that she couldn't quite place.

"Morning Taylor. Is......is everything alright?" Sarah enquired, as the desk sergeant handed her the paperwork about the previous night's incidents. The almost shocked look never leaving his visage, as he looked at the captain properly.

"Er........morning ma'am. Yeah.........everything...........There's someone waiting in your office for you. I think you might want to see them." The man informed her. The captain looking at the clock, not sure who could already be there waiting for her at that time of the morning. But nodding in thanks, as she placed the papers under her arm, grabbed her briefcase and made her way to her office. Essen intrigued as to who this visitor could possibly be. Especially as the seasoned sergeant had appeared, for all intents and purposes, like he had seen a ghost.

Sarah stopped, as she pushed her way into her office. Her eyes falling on the back of a woman that was stood at the window looking onto the street. A few spots of rain beginning to hit the large panes of glass. To say that this wasn't quite what she had expected, would be an understatement. Her early morning visitor wearing a pair of black leather, knee high boots. Some weathered, tight denims that Essen was sure were more like a second skin, and a tank top that revealed both the tattoos down her arms and across her back. The whole ensemble topped off by a head of dark pink hair.

"My sergeant said that you wanted to see me." Essen said, as she placed her bag on the desk and moved to her chair. The captain dropping into the seat with a thud, as her visitor turned around and smiled.

"Morning, Sarah............I think that you could say that." The woman replied, as she moved away from the window. Her smile growing broader as her old friend said her name.

"(Y/n)..............!?"

                                                          >>----------------------------------<<

Three years. For three whole years, Sarah, as well as everyone else had thought that the woman in front of her was dead. Hell, they had been at her funeral. A funeral for a hero cop that all believed had been cut down in a firefight between two of the multitude of gangs that called Gotham home. The powers that be, assuring everyone that the closed casket was needed. And now it was clear that it was needed, because (Y/n) hadn't been in it. For a whole three years, her friend had been alive, and never sent word.

"I............I'm sorry to just turn up on the doorstep like this. I can only imagine what you and poor Taylor out there must be thinking. But I promise you that I'm real. That I'm not a ghost." (Y/n) began, as she took a seat in the chair across from the captain.

"And.........you'll have to excuse the way I look. Three years undercover can really change a person..........." She continued, as she looked down at the artwork on her skin. At the tattoos that hadn't been there when she was a detective with the department.

"Undercover.............?! (Y/n) what the hell...........? How..............?"

"I know it's a lot to take in, Sarah. Believe me, I know. Just being back here........just seeing you again, its like a dream. A different world. All I can tell you, is that the case I was working on.........they had to make me disappear so that I could become another person. But..........but its all over now. The bad guy is locked up awaiting his trial, and I.........well, I want to come home. I'd like my old job back, if you'll have me. I missed this place. I missed Gotham. God help me, I even missed the likes of Donovan and his buddies. I'll understand if there's no place for me. But................" (Y/n) explained. Her eyes moving from the fidgeting fingers on her lap, to the captain, as she pulled something out of her draw, before she got to her feet and moved to the side of the desk where (Y/n) sat. Sarah gesturing for her to get to her feet. A large smile instantly spreading across (Y/n)'s lips, as she saw what was in the captain's hands. As she saw her old gun and badge.

"I should have turned these in a long time ago. But despite everything, I always had this strange feeling that you would be beck for them. And it looks like I was right. Welcome back to work, Detective (Y/l/n)." Sarah replied, as she handed her old friend the items. The two women embracing. The captain holding (Y/n) a little tighter than she should. Just to make sure that she wasn't seeing things.

"Sarah.......can I ask you something else? Harvey..........Jim........are they..........."

"They're still here. A little more world weary and tired, but they're both here and both fine." Sarah replied, as (Y/n) pulled away from her.

"And if you are wondering, no, Jim isn't with anyone else. In fact, I don't think he's even looked at another woman since...........well, since we lost you." The captain continued. Essen noticing how a weigh seemed to leave (Y/n)'s shoulders, as she retook her seat.

"Do you think that he'll forgive me? I mean, letting him think I was dead. Putting him through all that. The funeral and everything. Do you think that he will even want to talk to me...................?"

"I don't know, but you could always ask him now." Sarah replied, as she pointed to the scene beyond the windows that surrounded her office. (Y/n)'s eyes growing wide, as she saw Harvey and Jim make their way to their desks. The same desk that they had had before she had had to leave. A soft chuckle leaving her lips, as she watched Harvey struggle to get his coat off, as he insisted on keeping his coffee in his hand and his breakfast between her teeth. The detective getting to her feet as she looked at a tired appearing Jim. The man having grown a little older, but no less handsome during her absence.

"I.........I can't just................."

"Why not? If you're coming back to work, you're gonna have to talk to him sooner or later. And I think that sooner would be better, don't you? He deserves it, (Y/n). You know that. And if you can die, go undercover for three years, and then come back to life, surly you can face Jim Gordon." Sarah interrupted, as she came up behind (Y/n) and placed a hand on her shoulder. The two watching Jim for a moment, before (Y/n) nodded slowly.

"Yes, captain." (Y/n) replied. The detective straightening herself, as Sarah moved to the door and opened it. The two women making their way out of the room and over to where Jim and Harvey sat.